how to get TransMacClient + 5000+ torrentback in newyosemite

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
seaseasea

how to get TransMacClient + 5000+ torrentback in newyosemite

Post by seaseasea »

Hello

I just upgraded to yosemite, on a macbook pro. But I ended up having to do fresh install of yosemite osx on a clean HD.

I backed up my complete Transmission folder 2.8.4 Mac on Yosemite. I can see all my files i have uploaded + I can see all my torrent files i have uploaded.
But when I installed transmission mac 2.8.4 on the new fresh install of yosemite, it is not showing them in my Transmission Client.
How do I get them there?

There were 5000+ of torrents in my Transmission Mac Client, and the files are all saved in specific directories and I had them all color coded.
When I dragged say 4 as a test, transmission default save directory was something not even close to where the file is stored, and no color coding was showing that i had previously selected.

Thankyou in advance for your help.
regards
seaseasea

Re: how to get TransMacClient + 5000+ torrentback in newyose

Post by seaseasea »

thankyou x190 for your help.

the directory (users/xxx/Library/Application Support/Transmission/... (the 1 file (Transfers.plist) and the 3 sub folders containing the data)) is present from the prior install.

still no torrents in the Transmission client for mac.

the only difference between my old install and this install is 1 thing - the macbook account name changed as my name changed.
e.g old one, my macbook account name say was yyy and now it is xxx.

nothing else is different as I understand, other than the yosemite OSX been a clean fresh install.
seaseasea

Post by seaseasea »

correct. under /torrents sub directory I can see the 5000 torrents
nothing showing in trans Mac client even after cleared the résume sub directory

thankyou for trying to help me. much appreciated.
seaseasea

Post by seaseasea »

thankyou x190. I have fixed my pickle. Thankyou for your fantastic help. I stayed on yosemite osx rather than revert to my backup. Finally my macbook is running as fast/smooth as it was since I got it (came with SnowLeopard). Mavericks osx dinosaured it. So the fresh install (not upgrade) of yosemite OSX did the trick for me.

Below I summarised steps of what i did to solve (for anyone else needing a fresh OSX install but changes computer name in process )
Would be lovely if we could do a back up of our setup/torrent files for less technical people like me. and then restore from backup, inserting the new computer name.

But in the meantime the
Steps for setting up Transmission Client when fresh install of OSX, where computer name is changed in process:
1) installed transmission Mac

2) using notepad changed name of computer within 2 plist files (by using find/replace) and then replaced these 2 files in the fresh install
~/Library/Preferences/org.m0k.transmission.plist
~/Library/Application Support/Transmission/Transfers.plist

3) copied over the 2configuration files(.plist) that I had backed up
~/Library/Caches/org.m0k.transmission
~/Library/Preferences/org.m0k.transmission.LSSharedFileList.plist

4) copied over the torrent files to directory
~/Library/Application Support/Transmission/Torrents
(and as you said, left the resume files so the directory is blank)
----
5) moved all the physical files i had upped to 1 directory (new "upped file directory")
6) ensured I was not connected Internet (else client goes to redl all those torrents). Open torrent client, select all torrents (right click and move data pointing to new "upped file directory"
7) for all the torents, verified local data. I had 5000+ so it took a while.
8) connected to Internet.
----