Transmission keeps the file, even if it moved to another directory

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
ozhan99

Transmission keeps the file, even if it moved to another directory

Post by ozhan99 »

Hi,

I have some weird voodoo stuff going on. I hope you guys can help me. I use QNAP NAS.

For automated downloading of movies and TV shows, I installed CouchPotato (CP) and SickRage (SR). In the installation of both I mentioned to use Transmission for downloading via torrents. In the settings of CP and SR I configured to move the downloaded files to an other directory, after the downloading is completed.For example: Transmission downloads to location A and after downloading, it is moved to location B.

So what is the voodoo about? Well. Downloading goes fine as planned. After downloading, it looks like moving also goes fine. in File Station (file explorer of QNAP), when i go to location A, i see that the file is moved (just for the details, there is still an empty directory). When I go to location B, i see the file there. So that is fine.
But, when I go to Transmission, I see that the file is still in Transmission. In Transmission, when I look what is the location of the file, it still says it location A! (VOODOO?!)

How is this even possible? So according to File Station there is not file in location A, but according Transmission, it is seeding a file from location A.

To make sure, I have also look to the location with PuTTY from my windows PC. Even then the location A is empty.

Does any one know what is happening?
ozhan99

Re: Transmission keeps the file, even if it moved to another directory

Post by ozhan99 »

x190 wrote:Check with your local shaman or QNAP or CP or SR.
thanx for your reply. Could you help me a bit with that. I am still a noob on this kind of stuff. What is a local shaman? What do I need to do to check this?
tuxolero

Re: Transmission keeps the file, even if it moved to another directory

Post by tuxolero »

I have a wild guess what could be going on, although I don't have detailed knowledge about your components (hard- and software) ...
As far as I understand your first post, you configured the file move operation in CP and SR, but not in transmission, right ?
Most probably, CP and SR do not tell transmission about the move process. That's why transmission shows the file in location A.

I assume your NAS is running under a unix-like OS (incl. Linux, BSD, ...). If so, this explains why trensmission is successfully seeding the file from location A although it's been moved to location B:
This is a special characteristic of most unix-like file systems. Other than windows, you can move (or even delete) files even when they are currently open. The result is that the direcory stays there, but the file is "invisible" in that directory. But transmission still has a so-called "file handle" for the seemingly (re)moved file. As soon as you restart trensmission or you don't have peers anymore for this torrent, the file handle is closed and then transmission will not be able anymore to seed from location A. Probably even the empty directory will disappear.
If the file was deleted instead of moved, its disk space will not be freed until then.

No Voodoo at all.