Transmission-daemon Ubuntu issues after 2.92 upgrade [SOLVED]

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
blayderunner

Transmission-daemon Ubuntu issues after 2.92 upgrade [SOLVED]

Post by blayderunner »

I've been running transmission-daemon on my ubuntu media center for several years with no issues, but after updating to the 2.92, my transmission-daemon service won't stay running. When I attempt to start the service, I get the following:

Code: Select all

USER@MediaCenter:/$ sudo service transmission-daemon start
transmission-daemon start/running, process 3278
USER@MediaCenter:/$ sudo service transmission-daemon status
transmission-daemon stop/waiting
Checking /var/log/syslog, I see transmission attempting to start several times, but fails:

Mar 21 17:02:02 MediaCenter kernel: [22857.400987] init: transmission-daemon main process (3305) terminated with status 1
Mar 21 17:02:02 MediaCenter kernel: [22857.400999] init: transmission-daemon main process ended, respawning
Mar 21 17:02:02 MediaCenter kernel: [22857.414285] init: transmission-daemon main process (3308) terminated with status 1
Mar 21 17:02:02 MediaCenter kernel: [22857.414305] init: transmission-daemon respawning too fast, stopped
When I try to run independent of the service, I am able to get it running, and it stays running....

USER@MediaCenter:/$ sudo -H -u debian-transmission /etc/init.d/transmission-daemon start
 * Starting bittorrent daemon transmission-daemon                                                                                                                          [ OK ]
USER@MediaCenter:/$ pidof transmission-daemon
but then it seems like I'm running into permissions issues. Even if I simply run sudo /etc/init.d/transmission-daemon start, i get errors like "unable to save torrent file, permission denied".

What else can I try that I haven't already? It seems like it's a permissions issue, but I have a user named debian-transmission that has access to the confit file, the torrent file, the download directories, everything.

What am i missing??
Last edited by blayderunner on Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mike.dld
Transmission Developer

Re: Transmission-daemon Ubuntu issues after 2.92 upgrade

Post by mike.dld »

You may want to add `--log-debug --log-file /tmp/transmission.log` to daemon's arguments. Depending on Ubuntu version (which you didn't tell us) it needs to be added to either defaults file (via OPTIONS=) or systemd override file (via ExecStart=). Then try starting it as usual and see if the log file specified contains any valuable information.
blayderunner

Re: Transmission-daemon Ubuntu issues after 2.92 upgrade

Post by blayderunner »

My apologies for not mentioning - Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS

I did add --log-debug --log-file /tmp/tranlog.log to the startup options, and I got very non-descript messages, not really explaining anything further.

HOWEVER, after a few more hours of tinkering, trying to downgrade to the previous version, etc, I finally just got fed up and removed all transmission packages with

sudo apt-get autoremove transmission-daemon transmission-commong --purge
and rebooted the system, Then installed like normal. The service now starts and stays running!

I did have to replace the default settings.json to get my tweaks back in there, but everything seems to be gravy now 8-)

Thanks for the help, just needed somewhere to outline my issues so my brain could wrap around it.
gh0st

Re: Transmission-daemon Ubuntu issues after 2.92 upgrade [SOLVED]

Post by gh0st »

Nearly the exact same problem for me since the last update, but no mather what I do it ends up with a timeout... :/