Password for web GUI

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
rhintintin

Password for web GUI

Post by rhintintin »

I've got transmission installed on a wdmycloudmirror.

It's accessible from outside my LAN and I can't seem to either a) get a password added or b) stop access from outside the LAN.

At this point I'm not fussed about which I managed to do.

What I've tried doing is going via SSH and setting a username using transmission-daemon -u and a password using -v and then -t to require auth. For preventing access from outside my lan I've just set the whitelist to localhost using -a.

I'm not getting any error messages back (it just drops to the next line with no message at all). But nothing is happening with the client, it is unmoved by my efforts. I tried doing stuff like just switching the peerport using -P and that doesn't have any affect either. The only command that has given me any indication that I'm not just typing in junk is -V

Can anyone help me end my n00bishness please
rhintintin

Re: Password for web GUI

Post by rhintintin »

Thank you, I'll have a proper look through those this evening and try them. Oddly the STOP command also didn't seem to have any effect. Again, no error, just dropped to the next line. Would this also stop access via the web gui, I'm guessing there must be a status command that I can't recall off the top of my head so I'll check that. If not i'm guessing that disabling using the WD GUI will have the same effect and I can try following those instructions after doing that.

EDIT

Ok, so the stop didn't work, so I killed the processes, as I'd seen somewhere else that should work. Made the edit to the settings json and saved. I couldn't restart the process or start it. So I rebooted the NAS as that should have run the daemon. Not only has it not done that, but the folder /.config/transmission-daemon is no longer there. infact /.config/ isn't there either. The GUI looks to be running fine but I've no idea what I've managed to do. I've checked the processes and the only transmission process is the web GUI process

EDIT2

I've done it! Whatever the heck I'd tried before getting here must have kicked off a load of duff processes. So I must have killed all of them. All I was left with was transmission-daemon-addon which TOP helpfully showed me as having it's config file here /mnt/HD/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/Transmission/config so I stopped *that* process, made an edit of the JSON file in that folder and restarted.