Transmission kills lan and internet bandwidth!

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
Andrikos

Transmission kills lan and internet bandwidth!

Post by Andrikos »

Hi to everyone,

i have some serious issues with my lan and internet connection when using transmission over Qnap Nas (TS-451A)
I found out by luck it was transmission when i accidentally pause all torrents, before that i have replaced ethernet cables with new ones, contacted my ISP and changed the router..!
When transmission has active torrents (not downloading, just seeding or doing nothing!) my ping rises from 17-20 to 50-200) and my internet speed drops from 25mbit to 5-6. Also when copying files over lan my speed goes from 10-12 mbit to 3. When i pause or stop transmission, vualla everything's back to normal!

I was using the QnapClub store version but i just switch to the official from qnap's store (2.84-b24) and the issue still persists.

Transmission settings for your help:

Port:65500 forwarded
PEX & DHT enabled
max global peers (from default 1000) to 240
max peers per torrent (from default 500) to 60

Contacted qnap support, told me to use packet analyzer over my lan, no luck, told me to contact transmission support after that. That's why i'm here.
blinding

Re: Transmission kills lan and internet bandwidth!

Post by blinding »

I would suggest starting with strict limits and slowly increase them. You don't mention any bandwidth limits Set some low bandwidth limits as well as a low max number of connections. Keep in mind that Transmission measures in Kilo BYTES. If you have a one megabit upload then you need to set your max upload to 100 KBytes.

Some routers are not happy with a lot of connections. @40 seems reasonable but it depends on the router. I have mine set to 120. I would like to have it higher but have seen it cause problems in the past.

Once you have it working then you can try increasing one limit at a time to find your capacity.
Andrikos

Post by Andrikos »

blinding wrote:I would suggest starting with strict limits and slowly increase them. You don't mention any bandwidth limits Set some low bandwidth limits as well as a low max number of connections. Keep in mind that Transmission measures in Kilo BYTES. If you have a one megabit upload then you need to set your max upload to 100 KBytes.

Some routers are not happy with a lot of connections. @40 seems reasonable but it depends on the router. I have mine set to 120. I would like to have it higher but have seen it cause problems in the past.

Once you have it working then you can try increasing one limit at a time to find your capacity.
Hi blinding and thank you for answering this thread!

I will do it and return with the results!
MSGBen

Post by MSGBen »

Also, please note that whoever is using Qnap is complaining about the internet bandwidth speed issues. Contact support and tell them the whole story.
Andrikos

Post by Andrikos »

MSGBen wrote:Also, please note that whoever is using Qnap is complaining about the internet bandwidth speed issues. Contact support and tell them the whole story.
I've already did that and due to the fact that whenever transmission is paused/stopped everything's back to normal, told me that they have never heard this kind of story and to reach transmission support, so that's why i'm here.
Andrikos

Post by Andrikos »

So i set upload limit to 250kb (as my upload is 2,5Mbit), reduce the maximum global number of peers to 50 and the maximum peers number of torrent to 50.
Still facing issues.
When i stop or pause all torrents everything's is normal.

Any other ideas?
MSGBen

Post by MSGBen »

That is strange.