[SOLVED] transmission appends hdd drive name (automatically changes/ renames hard drive)

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
d3m0tra

[SOLVED] transmission appends hdd drive name (automatically changes/ renames hard drive)

Post by d3m0tra »

Hello,

Today all transfers were paused: Closely inspecting the issue at hand, it seems that the name of the hard drive is the same as before; however, once i start a new download, I note transmission adding a space followed by the number one ' 1', after the hard drive name so 'e6a 1'. I am using macos sierra 10.12.03 with transmission 2.92 (14714).

While it has been generally alright in disconnecting the hard drive when transmission is closed, this is the first time i am getting this issue and an initial search provided futile. My only ideal solution is to make a note of the data i have, then re-download, recheck and recategorize (i would like to retain download history) .

Anyone has had similar issues? Thanks in advance for any help.

xhak

I understand that transmission with external hard drive is not recommended (but I have 500 torrents downloading).
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-03-25 at 9.59.11 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-25 at 9.59.11 AM.png (14.93 KiB) Viewed 1954 times
Last edited by d3m0tra on Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
d3m0tra

Re: transmission appends hdd drive name

Post by d3m0tra »

https://www.cnet.com/news/drives-in-os- ... eir-names/

[SOLVED]

For anyone having similar issues, the thread link from cnet explains the issue and gives possible solutions to the problem, the 1st one worked for me:

Improper unmount
When you eject a drive, the system should remove the mount point for the drive; however, sometimes this doesn't happen. Crashes or other improper ejecting of drives can sometimes cause the system to leave the drive's mount point in the hidden /Volumes directory, and then when you attach the drive again the system recognizes an existing mount point of the same name and will append a number to the new mount point.

To clear this problem, unmount all drives and go to the hidden /Volumes directory by entering the text "/Volumes" in the Finder's Go to Folder option (available in the Go menu). This should open the mount points directory, and if you see any folders, aliases, or other files in the directory that have the same name as your external drive, then remove them."