Missing settings file on install

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
andrewgnix

Missing settings file on install

Post by andrewgnix »

I had transmission-daemon running fine on my Raspberry Pi, which is running Stretch, until I updated today, then it could no longer see my downloads. I tried reinstalling with no luck. I then deleted Transmission and all relating program folders. When I install it now, I cannot find a settings.json file anywhere
mike.dld
Transmission Developer

Re: Missing settings file on install

Post by mike.dld »

Debian is like that. I suppose you didn't purge the package, so it thinks that you still have settings.json file installed, but you probably manually removed it so it's not the case. Refer to documentation on `apt-get purge` or `apt-get remove --purge` to find out more.
andrewgnix

Post by andrewgnix »

Thanks for pointing me towards the purge command. I installed and then purged everything and then on installing again I have the settings.json file in /etc/transmission-daemon.

I previously had the daemon running as my pi user instead of the debian-transmission user, but now all files are being downloaded and owned by debian-transmission. I have tried changing the user in /etc/init.d/transmission-daemon and in /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/transmission-daemon, but with no luck
andrewgnix

Post by andrewgnix »

I found the post about changing the Daemon user and it all seems to be working fine. I'll make sure to bookmark that thread.