Transmission keeps showing the "Welcome to transmission" box

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
xecure

Transmission keeps showing the "Welcome to transmission" box

Post by xecure »

Hi guys, been using transmission for forever, but recently started to see this message every time I open the App:
Screen Shot 2018-01-19 at 5.00.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-19 at 5.00.06 PM.png (34.25 KiB) Viewed 3246 times
I also see the donate box after this one also, even though I've donated a few times. How do I prevent these boxes from showing up the next time I open transmission?
xecure

Re: Transmission keeps showing the "Welcome to transmission" box

Post by xecure »

bump, help anyone?
mike.dld
Transmission Developer

Post by mike.dld »

The legal notice is only shown once on the very first start.

There is no connection between the donation box and actual donations you make. It's shown once a week at most though, and you could check the "Don't bug me about this ever again" box if you don't want to see.

If you see those again and again, maybe you need to check the hard drive and fix permissions (perhaps Transmission is unable to record the fact that the messages should no longer be shown). But if it's a permissions issue, you should notice other preferences not persisting as well.

To check the state of the two settings above influencing the behavior, do (in Terminal app):

Code: Select all

$ defaults read org.m0k.transmission WarningLegal
$ defaults read org.m0k.transmission WarningDonate
After the first Transmission launch, the first command will print "0" (and "1" before that). If you select "Don't ..." checkbox when accepting or rejecting the donation proposal, the second command will also print "0" (and "1" otherwise).
xecure

Post by xecure »

Hi Mike,

Those are not the outputs I'm getting. Here is what I see:

$ defaults read org.m0k.transmission WarningLegal
2018-02-06 17:47:07.060 defaults[36640:1240784]
The domain/default pair of (org.m0k.transmission, WarningLegal) does not exist
$ defaults read org.m0k.transmission WarningDonate
2018-02-06 17:47:27.757 defaults[36667:1243035]
The domain/default pair of (org.m0k.transmission, WarningDonate) does not exist
mike.dld
Transmission Developer

Post by mike.dld »

Do you have Transmission installed and did you run it at least once? If the answer to both is yes, check if the file and directory storing the preferences have correct permissions. You should see something like this:

$ ls -ld ~/Library/Preferences
drwx------+ 256 mikedld  staff  8704 Feb  7 11:13 /Users/mikedld/Library/Preferences

$ ls -ld ~/Library/Preferences/org.m0k.transmission.*
-rw-------  1 mikedld  staff    42 Jan 22 11:59 /Users/mikedld/Library/Preferences/org.m0k.transmission.LSSharedFileList.plist
-rw-------  1 mikedld  staff  2790 Feb  6 15:45 /Users/mikedld/Library/Preferences/org.m0k.transmission.plist
-rw-------  1 mikedld  staff  5582 Feb  1 10:33 /Users/mikedld/Library/Preferences/org.m0k.transmission.plist.backup
(Where "mikedld" is the name of my user)
xecure

Post by xecure »

Ok, I've figured out what my issue was thanks to your last post. I noticed those files on my machine was symlinked to another directory due to a software I used called Mackup. I uninstalled Mackup in a "non-graceful" way and it's left behind a bunch of symlink in my system that caused these problems.

In case this help other users: to solve the issue I just deleted the relevant symlinks and restarted the program