Thousands of (seemingly) useless TCP peer connections?

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
Loki

Thousands of (seemingly) useless TCP peer connections?

Post by Loki »

Hello,

I'm running Transmission 2.92 (latest available in Linux Debian) and I recently noticed something strange.
I am seeding about 600 torrents from 3 different trackers. All of them are complete (no downloading at all). I usually have a maximum of about 10 (ten) active peers.

Every 2 hours, I see a huge spike of outgoing TCP connections: about a thousand SYN packets are going out per minute, for about half an hour or so. I'd say about 95% of these packets are unanswered, the remaining 5% are reset (RST). All the target addresses appear to be peers (sometimes with a recognizable transmission port).

This activity is not related to one particular tracker. It is however proportional to the number of active torrents. I paused 90% of them and now the spikes are happening every hour and only about 200-250 SYN packets are going out.
I am fairly certain this did not happen with my previous version (2.73 I think). I have a instance of munin (monitoring software) on that particular machine, so that kind of activity is really obvious when I check the daily graphs.

What could be happening here? How would you suggest I investigate this further?
Cheers
--
Loki