associate transmission-gtk with web browser

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
timl

associate transmission-gtk with web browser

Post by timl »

Hi,

my torrent server recently crashed. I backed up all the torrents but not the operating system settings. I am running Fedora 27 and transmission v 2.92. I use the midori web browser

Transmission is all set up. I can verify my old torrents and seed. In some cases however, I create new torrents and upload them to a website:
- Use the relevant web page to enter and save torrent details
- When the torrent is saved I need to upload
- Previously I would click DOWNLOAD on the relevant web page and I would be presented with an option to save, open, cancel. I would press open and this uploads the torrent in question to the tracker via transmission-gtk
- Now, when I press open nothing happens. I see a message at the bottom of the page but it is so small I can't read it.

Common sense tells me that midori needs to know which bit torrent client to use. I can't remember doing this in the past although I must have. A search around the net suggested adding the following line to /usr/share/applications/midori.desktop:
MimeType=application/x-bittorrent;application/transmission-gtk;
I added this and restarted the browser but no joy. So transmission-gtk is working fine but I can't upload files via the web broswer. Any suggestions?

Regards
mike.dld
Transmission Developer

Re: associate transmission-gtk with web browser

Post by mike.dld »

The suggestion you found was misleading (or you didn't get it right). The line that you quote should already be present in the proper place --- transmission-gtk.desktop file, and should look like this:
MimeType=application/x-bittorrent;x-scheme-handler/magnet;
It tells the system that Transmission GTK+ client supports the listed MIME types. Adding such line to midori.desktop is wrong (the browser itself can't handle torrents).

I'd first try looking into Midori's preferences, and "File Types" tab in particular:

If there is a bittorrent type there on the left, see if you could select Transmission on the right. If it's not there, try running update-desktop-database (as root) and then opening a torrent again. As a last resort, try reinstalling Transmission.
timl

Re: associate transmission-gtk with web browser

Post by timl »

Yeah, I didn't get it right :) Thanks for the explanation. SOmething still ain't right but everything seems to be set up correctly. I'll reinstall transmission and see how that affects things.