Created torrent doesn't seed

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
ChameleonScales

Created torrent doesn't seed

Post by ChameleonScales »

Hi,
I just created a torrent, copied and pasted this tracker list, confirmed the creation, downloaded the resulting torrent file on another machine and opened it (all in transmission). Both machines are connected to the internet and have transmission open with the torrent ready to be sent and received but the sharing never starts. Note that this test file is tiny (244 kB)
What am I doing wrong?
ChameleonScales

Re: Created torrent doesn't seed

Post by ChameleonScales »

Found it.
The port used for incoming connections was closed. I opened it on the seeding machine and it worked fine from there.

If someone wonders how to do that, in Transmission go to Edit > Preferences > Network and copy the port number (by default 51413). Then in your web browser, open your router's admin page by typing its local IP address (for example 192.168.1.1) and logging in when the page is open to access admin rights.
Then find the page to add ports (most likely in advanced configuration, then NAT/PAT and add the port number you copied from Transmission both in internal and external fields. Set it as both TCP and UDP and confirm.
Also check your firewall to see if it blocks this port. If you're unsure try disabling it and see what happens.

These should be the only 2 steps to open the port and they are required only on the seeding machine.