transmission-daemon downloads folder permissions & broken web gui

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
kenwood

transmission-daemon downloads folder permissions & broken web gui

Post by kenwood »

Hi all,

I just yesterday built a headless Raspberry Pi running raspbian (made my own user kenwood and deleted the user pi), installed and configured transmission-daemon, and had great success with it using the web interface. Hooray.

Today I am using my Linux Mint machine to connect to it using Nemo and sftp, so far so good - I can remotely browse to and copy files from the download folder to my Mint machine, more Hooray.. However, I can't remotely delete the downloaded files, not so cool.

Instead, I had to use terminal to ssh into the Pi,and using rm at the command line under sudo, delete the files and folders. Got the job done but a little bit of a faff.

Attempted Resolution:

I had a go at recursively changing the permissions of the downloads folder and contents using chmod to 777 so that I can have full access form my remote machine. (I know people get grouchy over 777, but in this instance as connecting to the Pi is password protected, I hope it doesn't matter).

Code: Select all

kenwood@raspberrypi:/var/lib/transmission-daemon $ sudo chmod -R 777 downloads/

Code: Select all

kenwood@raspberrypi:/var/lib/transmission-daemon $ ls -l
total 4
drwsrwxrwx 4 debian-transmission debian-transmission 4096 Aug  1 21:10 downloads
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root                root                  27 Dec 31  2018 info -> .config/transmission-daemon
Yay, I now have remote GUI access to do as I please form my Mint machine! Bingo, I thought, until...

New Issue:

Unfortunately this change seems to have broken transmission, as the web interface no longer works. hmmmmm...

http://192.168.1.59:9091/transmission/web/
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 192.168.1.59:9091.
Any suggestions on how I can fix this?

Many thanks, kenwood.
kenwood

Re: transmission-daemon downloads folder permissions & broken web gui

Post by kenwood »

Oh flippin heck.. I rebooted the Pi and the balance of life is returned! We now have web gui, and easy remote folder access.

So please ignore this, but instead of deleting the post, I've left it here to hopefully help others. If it was one of those other forums, I'd mark it as [solved].

Cheers, kenwood