Compiling Transmission from GitHub source

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
josephj

Compiling Transmission from GitHub source

Post by josephj »

I cloned transmission and now I'm trying to compile it.
I know a little C ... but I don't do many builds from source like this.

The first thing I ran into was 6 empty thirdparty directories. I downloaded them manually and it gets past that now.
I don't know why I had to do that. (Maybe Git would have installed them for me, but I know very little Git.)

Now, I'm stuck on
checking for LIBCURL... configure: error: Package requirements (libcurl >= 7.15.4) were not met:

No package 'libcurl' found
but I have libcurl4 installed which says it's 7.58.

How do I get past this to the next issue?

I'm on kubuntu 18.04 on a Toshiba i7 notebook.
mike.dld
Transmission Developer

Re: Compiling Transmission from GitHub source

Post by mike.dld »

Take a look at https://github.com/transmission/transmi ... -source.sh for the steps that should be enough (those are for Debian). Note that on some Linux distributions (and yours is one of those) you need to install additional packages in order to do any development with the libraries in question (like e.g. libcurl4-openssl-dev, or generally some kind of *-dev package). The clone command there is also using `--recurse-submodules` parameter, but you could download submodules as a separate step too as outlined in the readme: https://github.com/transmission/transmi ... first-time
josephj

Post by josephj »

It would be great if I knew what I was doing.
This is where I'm stuck now:

bigbird@sananda:~/installs/Transmission/transmission/build$ make
[ 1%] Performing configure step for 'miniupnpc'
CMake Error: File /home/bigbird/installs/Transmission/transmission/build/third-party/miniupnpc/src/miniupnpc/miniupnpcstrings.h.cmake does not exist.
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:69 (configure_file):
configure_file Problem configuring file

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/home/bigbird/installs/Transmission/transmission/build/third-party/miniupnpc/src/miniupnpc-build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
CMakeFiles/miniupnpc.dir/build.make:107: recipe for target 'third-party/miniupnpc/src/miniupnpc-stamp/miniupnpc-configure' failed
make[2]: *** [third-party/miniupnpc/src/miniupnpc-stamp/miniupnpc-configure] Error 1
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:67: recipe for target 'CMakeFiles/miniupnpc.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/miniupnpc.dir/all] Error 2
Makefile:162: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2
mike.dld
Transmission Developer

Post by mike.dld »

I'd suggest starting from the top. You may not have done the cloning correctly.