Where is Transmission installed on Ubuntu

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
kanaske

Where is Transmission installed on Ubuntu

Post by kanaske »

Hi What is the directory and path where transmission is installed on a Ubuntu machine when installed durning os install? I have not been able to find them.
Undercover

Re: Where is Transmission installed on Ubuntu

Post by Undercover »

There's several commands to find where the binary is when you have the program available from the terminal, usually `which` works as expected.
kanaske

Post by kanaske »

on both the ubuntu systems i have the which command when used !which transmission! returns no results of any kind
mike.dld
Transmission Developer

Post by mike.dld »

The easiest is probably to use https://packages.ubuntu.com/ to find the particular package and view the list of its files, e.g. https://packages.ubuntu.com/focal/amd64 ... n/filelist. Other options could be googled as well, e.g. https://superuser.com/questions/82923/h ... ut-install

What do you actually need this information for?

P.S. `which` command takes an executable name, and "transmission" isn't that. You need to pass one of transmission-{daemon,gtk,qt,remote,edit,show,create,cli} instead, i.e. `which transmission-daemon`. Note that this will show you the path to that executable (if found), not other flies like settings.json.
kanaske

Post by kanaske »

I have all my torrents 1.8 TB on an external HD. I have to move the HD to another same version Ubuntu system. I would like to not have to re verify all the files over again.
mike.dld
Transmission Developer

Post by mike.dld »

Run `transmission-remote -si` to get session information which will contain "Configuration directory:" line in "CONFIG" section; that's where Transmission stores all its information about your torrents and their progress, and where your configuration file (settings.json) is located. If you're using the daemon, it'll most probably be something like "/var/lib/transmission-daemon/.config/transmission-daemon" (judging by the second link in my message above); if you're using GTK or Qt client then it's usually "$HOME/.config/transmission".
kanaske

Post by kanaske »

Great help. I found my config files in the $HOME dir. So ... I just copy the contents of this dir to the the new system? At least I remembered how to find hidden files lol.
kanaske

Post by kanaske »

problem solved thanks mike.did