transmission-cli not downloading

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
Jule

transmission-cli not downloading

Post by Jule »

Hi, this is a bit of a special case. I have implemented my own torrent client (just for fun), and I have tried to use transmission-cli to verify that it works.

If I let tranmission seed my client downloads without any issues.

If I let my client seed and transmission download it goes fine as long as my client initiate the handshake to transmission. If I do not do that (which I don't think I should when my client already has the whole file) then transmission does not seem to ever try to connect to my client.

I have verified with Wireshark that when transmission contact the tracker it does get a response with a peer list containing both my clients ip and its own ip. But even though it has gotten this list in the response it never connects.

I have also tried the same with KTorrent and that works fine, it gets the tracker response with the same peer list and immediately connects to my client.

Might it be some configuration issue? Both clients are running on localhost so the peer list will be two 127.0.0.1 addresses with different ports.

Any ideas?
Jule

Re: transmission-cli not downloading

Post by Jule »

Ok, I looked into it a bit more and debugged the transmission source and hit this line:

https://github.com/transmission/transmi ... net.c#L766

peers returned from the tracker are checked in the

Code: Select all

isMartianAddr(...)
function and it has hardcoded that any address starting with 127 will not be valid. So I take it that transmission simply does not want to download seeds from localhost, I guess it make sense in some way - but other clients support it - and also it works if I do the handshake?

(Note that removing that check was not enough, so there is more to it - but I didn't dig further.