Slow seeding speeds - Friend and I try to transfer files to each other

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
dflkjefd

Slow seeding speeds - Friend and I try to transfer files to each other

Post by dflkjefd »

Hey guys, a buddy and I are trying to transfer 30GB of files from his PC to mine. We live far away. I thought "why not try torrents?".

So basically, I had him make a .torrent file out of a folder with the videos. Then use udp://tracker.example.com:6969 as the tracker. Then he sent me the .torrent file, and I started it up.

However, he has 1000 down/50 up and I have 100 down/100 up, yet our speeds are 14-25kb/s, meaning it would take weeks to download the files. I have no firewalls/VPNs/etc enabled on MacOS, and he even disabled windows firewall on windows. All default settings for tranmission. We made sure no upload limits/etc are enabled. Normally I download torrents very quickly, and I uploaded a torrent to him too. Not sure what the issue is and we looked at the wiki, any ideas?
braddock

Re: Slow seeding speeds - Friend and I try to transfer files to each other

Post by braddock »

Instead of trying to troubleshoot this, I would setup an SFTP server instead - with ability to resume any break in transfer.
I've used CopSSH in the past, quick and easy to setup or download the Filezilla server.
Appreciate this doesn't answer the question but torrents (in my experience) seem to have a mind of their own :)
killemov

Re: Slow seeding speeds - Friend and I try to transfer files to each other

Post by killemov »

I'd print out the content in hex and type it in on the receiving PC. :idea:

But seriously ... So now you have a torrent and you try to send the content. I can't tell if actually used the mentioned tracker, but therein lies the problem. Your receiving peer does not know how to find your transmitting peer. There are a few options that could work:
  1. Keep your torrent as-is and manually add the transmitting peer in the trackers view with a special tag. (Forgot what it was, but look it up.)
  2. Keep your torrent as-is and manually add the transmitting peer in another torrent client.
  3. Recreate the torrent with an existing tracker or host your own and add that one.