still painfully slow

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
regancooley

still painfully slow

Post by regancooley »

so i've figured out how to get my port open for transmission. however, the speeds are still waaay low, often below 20 kbps. does anybody have any advice on how to get the speeds up?? thanks.
Jethryn Freyman

Post by Jethryn Freyman »

If the torrent has more leechers than seeders, expect slow speeds, especially if there are more than 2 or 3 times as many leechers as seeders.

You could try toggling the encryption settings (turning it completely on or off), or increasing the maximum number of connections (though too many connections may slow down your router.) 50 connections per torrent and 400 globally should be fine. If you have issues with your router crashing, try setting the maximum global connections to 200.

You might also want to check that you don't accidentally have any speeds limits set, check in the preferences and in the last tab of the inspector for each torrent. Don't upload at more than about 75% of your maximum upload speed. Try enabling/disabling the peer blocklist (in Peer preferences.)

Make sure that your port is open and correctly forwarded. Make sure that you are using the latest version of your operating system (all patches applied) and the latest version of Transmission. Try a nightly of Transmission too, they can have speed improvements (among other things.)

Speeds may fluctuate significantly, it happens.
Last edited by Jethryn Freyman on Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:51 am, edited 9 times in total.
regancooley

Post by regancooley »

hey thanks alot wise one, worked like a charm.
silver sloth

Post by silver sloth »

i just tried this, but it still hasn't changed. i'm only downloading at 10kbps and my ports are open. i tried toggling the encryption and everything. =_=
newguy9

Post by newguy9 »

yeah i'm new to the whole torrent transmission thing and i am having a tough time downloading anything. if i do start downloading something it takes forever like 1.6k. any help you can give will greatly appreciated.
kellym14

Post by kellym14 »

I am also new to Transmission and am having some problems. When I first started to download, I was downloading at good speeds (I think .. 300+ K) and now I don't think it has hit a speed of over 5.0 K and sometimes not even downloading at all. Under my preferences it says that my "Port is stealth" but I do not know how to fix that, even after reading all the help files. I am connected to the internet using an ethernet cable if that makes a difference. The one file I am trying to download does not have very many seeders, but I think it should be downloading faster than this (It has been downloading for about a day and has not even completed 2% yet)? If anyone has any ideas that could help me, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much in advance.
Jethryn Freyman

silver_sloth, newguy9, kellym14: How many seeders/leechers are there? What operating system are you using? Which version of Transmission are you using?

Also, re-read everything that I said above.
newguy9

Post by newguy9 »

i am using os x 10.4.11. I think the transmission i am using is 1.06? not sure if thats right though.
kellym14

Post by kellym14 »

i am also using os x 10.4.11. and transmission is 1.06 ..

and for the particular download i am talking about, there is one 1 or 2 seeders and using about 6-8 leechers. so obviously it is going to be pretty slow but is it normal to be THAT slow?

thanks.
Jethryn Freyman

newguy9 wrote:I think the transmission i am using is 1.06? not sure if thats right though.
You can check this by going to Transmission's main menu, and selecting "About Transmission".

kellym14 wrote:there is one 1 or 2 seeders and using about 6-8 leechers. so obviously it is going to be pretty slow but is it normal to be THAT slow?
Yes, unfortunately. Just leave the torrent going for as long as you can, and make sure that you are uploading to other users in the swarm, as that makes them more likely to upload to you.

If you want to be really up to date, you could try downloading and using the latest nightly version of Transmission. They incorporate all the latest improvements and enhancements that will eventually make their way into the next official release of Transmission. The link is below.
mimble

Post by mimble »

http://forum.transmissionbt.com/viewtop ... 1091#21091 is my problem.

I tried everything suggested in that post. Just updated to the nightly, very excited, just got up to 3kb/s. But nope, back to 0.5kb/s. I'm becoming obsessive compulsive about watching the speed, and it just hit 7. Oh the excitement.

It's now stopped uploading.

This is just painful to watch.
jah

Post by jah »

read the help file
dom272

me too

Post by dom272 »

yeah, this is happening to me too. Did DAYS of research about port forwarding. Finally managed to work it out....then still shit download speeds and Im paying $60 per month for a "6MB" broadband connection!

Can't you just write the program so it does all this stuff automatically? Its like learning to be a mechanic just so you can drive a bloody car!
dom272

P.S.

Post by dom272 »

P.S. Heres some info I forgot.

Downloading from 10 of 74 peers so leachers shouldn't be a problem (although I can't see where they mention that anyway).

Top-end Intel Mac with os X 10.4.11

Transmission 1.11 (5504)

Download speed 1.1KB at present!
jah

Re: me too

Post by jah »

dom272 wrote:
Can't you just write the program so it does all this stuff automatically?
It does...