Transmission 1.20 error - Apple TV

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
Wags

Transmission 1.20 error - Apple TV

Post by Wags »

Hi,

I have been running Transmission on my Apple TV for some time now.

I upgraded to 1.2 and this is the error I got.

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/lib/libcurl.4.dylib
Referenced from: /mnt/Scratch/Users/frontrow/Applications/Transmission.app/Contents/MacOS/./Transmission
Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap

Thanks,
Wags
John Clay
Transmission Project

Post by John Clay »

Transmission requires 10.4.11 with Security Update 2008-002. This may not be available for the Apple TV.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Good point.

Thanks John.
Waldorf

Post by Waldorf »

Why not run the daemon, with the Clutch front-end?
snozwoz

Post by snozwoz »

any luck with this?
how do you get transmission running on apple TV
Waldorf

Post by Waldorf »

To open up your ATV, read: http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/Main_Page

Then install the transmission-daemon and Clutch. (and a web-server)

Note: for now, only use release versions. Do not build from svn, because it will not work.
Waldorf

Post by Waldorf »

snozwoz wrote:Apple tv is OSX 10.4, but dont know which version, i doubt it is 10.4.11. So can i run tranmission deamon? If not is there some files i could patch up apple tv with to support it?

How do i run transmission as a deamon? i have looked around but no one spells it out. do i need to install all of transmission or just certain files (obtained form where), and can i do this from the command line.

Next part the control. Is it possible to have my install of transmission on my macbook remote control the deamon on apple TV. Or must i use Clutch, i would prefer not to as requires more resources? if i must how do i install clutch on command line?
The daemon runs on anything, just build it with xcode.

You'll need ssh access to your ATV to start/stop the daemon. Do "man transmission-daemon" in the terminal. Also read about launchd.

you can either control the daemon (and the osx front-end) with transmission-remote. Or just install Clutch + webserver to get a nicer interface.
snozwoz

Post by snozwoz »

Hi thanks for your replies, it sounds promising.
transmission-deamon and transmission-remote sound ideal. So i assume then no need to for clutch and web server (which mean less resources on tv). I have ssh, etc, etc working.
So how do i get deamon and remote? In the downloads sections i just see transmission. do i have to build it from source using xcode? how do i do this?
Sorry i am okay with computers but this is new area to me, so need it spelled out a little until i got my head around it.

PS what is transmission-remote, is this the normal transmission front end, that would be ideal?
Waldorf

Post by Waldorf »

You need to get the source code from the website. Xcode is on your OSX installation DVD.

Just open the Transmission.xcodeproj file and choose the daemon/remote as target from the toolbar. Click build.
Transmission-remote, is this the normal transmission front end
No, though the front-end is a daemon. You can connect to it using the remote. the remote/daemon are command line apps.
snozwoz

Post by snozwoz »

can i use xcode 2.5 running on tiger to compile this or must it be 3.0 on lepard? how do i make sure it will compile to run on apple tv?

thanks for your help.
Waldorf

Post by Waldorf »

Actually, I'm not sure. However, the daemon/remote can be build from the command line. Consult included README file for more information.
chockster

Re: Transmission 1.20 error - Apple TV

Post by chockster »

Re-opening an old, old thread here, but...
The daemon runs on anything, just build it with xcode.
Can anyone give me any insight into how I can compile in xcode.. but target AppleTV? It seems to run some hokey mix of 10.4. Transmission 1.20 and up throw the errors the thread creator mentions. 1.06 works fine, but I really want the IP blocking feature...
druchtie

Post by druchtie »

hi Chockster,

I wrote little tutorial on how to run transmission on the Apple tv I also have compiled the deamon and remote files. Check out the tutorial and download the files via:

http://dannyruchtie.nl/index.php/2009/0 ... -apple-tv/

Cheers Danny
John Clay
Transmission Project

Post by John Clay »

druchtie wrote:hi Chockster,

I wrote little tutorial on how to run transmission on the Apple tv I also have compiled the deamon and remote files. Check out the tutorial and download the files via:

http://dannyruchtie.nl/index.php/2009/0 ... -apple-tv/

Cheers Danny
It's nice to see a guide like this, but a newer version of Transmission should be used. 1.06 is quite ancient - the current version is 1.73.
gurgle

Post by gurgle »

is there any way of troubleshooting or checking to see if everythings installed?
i followed all the steps in your guide and get a 'failed to open page' when i try to browse to the clutch interface...