Can't download! (port closed?)

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
tiraca75

Can't download! (port closed?)

Post by tiraca75 »

Hi, I have a wireless network at home. My bf and me can connect, my bf can download but I can't. I have a Mac Mini he has a Mac Book. Anybody can help me???
If I try to debug with the instructions inside Transmission help page I have no answer from the debug page so I can't post anything. I know I cannot give you any useful informations, but is there anyone who has my same problem???

Thanx to all!
Ryoujin

Post by Ryoujin »

First, calm down, it's not the end of the world :wink:

Second, could you go into Transmission > Preferences > Network and see if it says if your port is Open? Are you using the same port as your boyfriend?
tiraca75

Post by tiraca75 »

Ok
The port is Closed and the same (he also has a Closed Port)

I tried to do what the help menu suggests to me and the result is

2008-07-07 19:06:49 +0200 upnp.c:120 [Info] Port Forwarding (UPnP): Stopping port forwarding through "http://192.168.1.1:5431/uuid:0015f208-d ... nnection:1", service "urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:WANPPPConnection:1"
2008-07-07 19:06:49 +0200 port-forwarding.c:101 [Info] Port Forwarding: State changed from "Forwarded" to "Not forwarded"

I have a Asus WL530g and it work with both LAN a WLAN.

Thanx for your answer.
Ryoujin

Post by Ryoujin »

You could probably check out one of these guides and see if they work for you:

http://www.portforward.com/english/rout ... zureus.htm
http://www.portforward.com/english/rout ... orrent.htm

The thing is, if it says either Closed or Stealthed, your download/upload speed won't be the best you could probably get (and/or you will experience issues with the speeds, as you described in your first post).
Waldorf

Post by Waldorf »

Ryoujin already hinted at this before, but you may want to choose a different port then your bf. If he had an open port before, it could be closed for the both of you because both your computers are requesting that port from the router. Just increase the number by 20 or so. And restart the router.

If this doesn't help, follow the guides that Ryoujin gave you.
theCrank

Post by theCrank »

And again: Create some kind of wiki, let the users post their experiences. That's how you get around replying to the same questions over and over again...
jah

Post by jah »

@theCrank, we do have a pretty comprehensive help file. unfortunately it seems many people aren't reading it.
theCrank

Post by theCrank »

If there's a big link on the website that's linked to this help file in html-format (or a page which tells to read the help), there wouldn't be so much questions about download speeds and so on.

I'm using Transmission mostly on the console or with clutch. I can't find that much documentation for transmission-daemon, transmission-remote and transmission-cli in the manpages or the READMEs.

I don't really know about the changes that were made between 1.22 and 1.30.
In other words: Is there a webserver integrated to transmission (to serve the javascript-remote-frontend) or do i still need a dev-version of clutch?

... and so on.
Ryoujin

Post by Ryoujin »

theCrank wrote:If there's a big link on the website that's linked to this help file in html-format (or a page which tells to read the help), there wouldn't be so much questions about download speeds and so on.

I'm using Transmission mostly on the console or with clutch. I can't find that much documentation for transmission-daemon, transmission-remote and transmission-cli in the manpages or the READMEs.

I don't really know about the changes that were made between 1.22 and 1.30.
In other words: Is there a webserver integrated to transmission (to serve the javascript-remote-frontend) or do i still need a dev-version of clutch?

... and so on.
The information is there and jah is totally right, people is just lazy to look for it. Keep in mind that Transmission is freeware and the developers are already busy with their RL stuff and developing Transmission. If you want to help out you are always free to create some sort of wiki and gather all the information there; I doubt anyone would get angry at that :wink:

By the way, you are kinda going off-topic; it might be even more efficient if you open a new thread and suggest something like that :)
theCrank

Post by theCrank »

Well, your're right. Off Topic.

I'll start a docu-wiki-thread later =)
jah

Post by jah »

@theCrank,

documentation for T-remote, cli etc is minimal compared to the GUI versions.

Perhaps this is a good entry point for you into the project...
onlyformyMAc

Re: Can't download! (port closed?)

Post by onlyformyMAc »

Transmission write ; the Port is closed
but my Mac says: the Port is opened
3214954255_e76e6cf604_o.jpg
3214954255_e76e6cf604_o.jpg (32.31 KiB) Viewed 17056 times
and the download is huge.

Conclusion don't trust in Transmission comments
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Post by Jordan »

onlyformyMAc wrote:Conclusion don't trust in Transmission comments
If you say so. Transmission's comment comes from trying to ping your machine's port from an outside source, but whatever.

You might also want to try http://www.canyouseeme.org/ or try seeing if your tracker thinks you're connectible.
Debu

Post by Debu »

Aren't they likely to over saturate their data connection if both of them have bit torrent clients running at the same time?

Guess they'd have to assign bandwidth limits to each client - which might result in a less than optimal use of their connection.

(Just musing OT...)
karassan

Post by karassan »

i can't download for some reason... my torrents have seeds and they are not uploading or downloading need help!