Up to 1.42, Things got weird! Suspicious peer management!!

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
sohail

Up to 1.42, Things got weird! Suspicious peer management!!

Post by sohail »

I am using Mac OSX, I had Transmission 1.40, Had no major issue with it expect for the times it was alerting about HTTp error things. I have upgraded to 1.42 and things got weird as how as I don't find a better way to describe it but this screenshot:

Translation: It is a torrent with more than ten thousand seeds, more than 14,000 leechers and 617 are known to Transmission, at the moment this is the only torrent running, that means all 200 global peer limitation is applied to this torrent only, as you see I am downloading from one of peers at 34KB/s that means my connection works but isn't it weird that Transmission don't even try to connect to other peers? I have to say that I was too lucky when it decided to download from one of these peer, it happens when it stays with no download or peer connecttions DL 0.0KB/s, UL0.0KB/s for hours! I keep staring at the screen hoping for a new connection like a psycho!

To Clear some possibly issues you may guess by now:
1. I have tried too many different torrents, different trackers, different IP classes even, No Change at all! Observed for hours, nothing changed!
2. I was downloading the same torrent with 1.40 at the full speed (190KB/s), upgraded to 1.42, things are locked up! Of course I have checked with a new torrent as well!
3. My internet connection is just fine, Vuze (the other torrent client) works perfectly (not as perfect as Transmission in its best shape) (Sucky Java applications on OSX)
4. I didn't change anything after I have upgraded to 1.42, I donno if it does change setting during upgrade by itself, doesn't seem like.
5. My setting are all defaults, 200 global peer (60 each), no speed limiter, no peer IP filter!

I am no computer expert but my guts tell me there's something wrong with 1.42 peer management, it finds other transmission clients so fast but never downloads from previous versions, it always download from uTorrent or Vuze clients but it never finds them well, it can establish single fast connections but it cannot (try to) make multiple connections, I mean 4 out of 620 in this example? come on!

Of course all my criticisms are based on my observation and has no scientific explanation, I know you guys can point out a hundred of issues with my internet connection, torrent tracker, bad luck, faith, never try transmission when you're high and etc. but I have tried every possibilities and I just feel like there's something wrong with the new transmission. I don't expect any reply just thought I better talk to someone about it!!!
Attachments
Transmission 1.42 Weird Peer Management!
Transmission 1.42 Weird Peer Management!
TransmissionLockedUp.png (33.44 KiB) Viewed 5159 times
daveslutzkin

Re: Up to 1.42, Things got weird! Suspicious peer management!!

Post by daveslutzkin »

This sounds a little bit similar to some slow downloading issues I've been seeing. The attached screenshot shows that I'm downloading a pretty rare torrent - but it does exist! It's taken about 2 days to get to 1.27G/4.37G and at this rate will take about another 3 days.

My question is - why is it never downloading from those who have more of the file than me? I'm uploading at good speeds but always seem to be downloading at low speeds from those who have less than I do. I've never seen it download anything at all from the seed.

I'm using 1.42 (7494) on OSX 10.5.6 on a MacBook. Uploads are limited at 50K, downloads unlimited. Announce and Scrape results are OK. All ports are open correctly on my router.

Is this expected behaviour or is someone doing something wrong?
Attachments
TransmissionSlowDl.png
TransmissionSlowDl.png (81.86 KiB) Viewed 4838 times
merlyn3d

Post by merlyn3d »

Have either of you guys tried the mac version of uTorrent to see if your speeds or peer management are any better? How about the latest Transmission nightly?
Jethryn Freyman

Post by Jethryn Freyman »

Try the latest nightly versions. They're doing a great job.