"Address family not supported by protocol family" errors?

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
lkce

"Address family not supported by protocol family" errors?

Post by lkce »

2008-12-31 14:38:16 +0800 net.c:175 [Error] Transmission: Couldn't connect socket 205 to 232.187.11.176, port 1373 (errno 47 - Address family not supported by protocol family)
2008-12-31 14:45:10 +0800 web.c:289 [Error] Transmission: invalid socket argument
Jor

Re: Help: How to solve these errors??

Post by Jor »

I've seen the same Errors in my log (Transmission 1.40, haven't upgraded yet).

The reason why those connects fail ist: any IPv4 address with the first byte between 224 and 240 is a Multicast Address.
A TCP unicast client simply cannot connect to such a bogus IP address.

I do not know why transmission tries to connect to multicast addresses.
Maybe some bogus peer tries to disrupt the torrent, or some little-endian/network-byte-order problem in some peer's broken BT-software (then the IP address would actually be 176.11.187.232 and the port would be 23813 instead)...
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Re: "Address family not supported by protocol family" errors?

Post by Jordan »

jhujhiti has been looking into this problem. I'll point him to this thread.

[admin: Subject revised for disambiguation]
Jor

Post by Jor »

[Edit:] apparently i was wrong. The code in peer-mgr.c does not cause the error, although it should use ntoh-macros.

I guess there are more than one host-byte-order/network-byte-order issues buried in the transmission source code.
jhujhiti

Post by jhujhiti »

Jor wrote:I guess there are more than one host-byte-order/network-byte-order issues buried in the transmission source code.
No, there aren't. If there were, nothing would work. I suspect that these errors come from a buggy tracker. Trunk code currently has extra debugging information being printed. Try a recent revision and look for messages that say "funny looking address."
woodzu123

Post by woodzu123 »

I have that error in my Subversion, always when trying do "svn co ..." from any host (even transmission),
[root@MyBook svn]# svn co svn://svn.m0k.org/Transmission/trunk Transmission
svn: Can't read directory 'Transmission': Address family not supported by protocol
so can it by a system issue?