Can't seed after moving files to another folder

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
siys

Can't seed after moving files to another folder

Post by siys »

Mac OS X (10.11.4)
Transmission (1.34)*

After a Torrent completes downloading I move the files into folders that organize them by type, however after I move them I noticed they no longer seed.

Is there anything I can do to get the Torrent files to continue seeding after I have moved the files to their organized folders?

Thank you.

*I am not using the latest version as I have experienced problems and this version works fine.
Debu

Re: Seeding help

Post by Debu »

Trans has lost track of where the data file is. (Yeah, I know that's bad grammar.)

Try moving the torrent file into the same folder as the downloaded file. You might have to delete the torrent file from the main Trans window and re-start it; I think this is the safer procedure. If you have the "Add Window" enabled in Trans preferences, you can verify the file BEFORE adding the torrent file to Trans. If you don't have 100% verified and you start it in Trans, you will lose some of your data, as Trans will try to download and replace the unverified pieces. A possible downside is that you start your ratio from scratch.

You can also try to use the "verify local data" command (under the "Transfers" drop menu). I don't like that procedure, so do it at your own risk.

To prevent having to deal with this, I make it a practice to put the torrent file where I want the downloaded file to be before I open the torrent file in Transmission. I have the "default location" set as "same as torrent" in preferences. This way I don't have to move data or torrent files once I start the torrent.

Trans has a "move data file" command that might help Trans keep track of the data file. Since I use the "move before add" method described above, I haven't tried using that command, but you could experiment with it.