How do I reseed a torrent?

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
redgaz26

How do I reseed a torrent?

Post by redgaz26 »

so I want to reseed a file, I click on the .torrent file and it starts to download again?

I only want to reseed, any help would be grateful!
Weaselboy

Re: how do I reseed???

Post by Weaselboy »

Is the data file in the folder you have selected in Transmission as your download folder?
redgaz26

Re: How do I reseed a torrent?

Post by redgaz26 »

what do you mean by my download folder? I download everything on to my desktop and then move them about, I have the .torrent file in the same folder as the files but when I open the .torrent file then press add it starts downloading again, how do I get it to seed??
Weaselboy

Post by Weaselboy »

If the data file is still in the same place as when you originally downloaded it (desktop in your case), if you click the .torrent file it should just take a minute to verify the data and start to seed. If it does not do that, and starts to redownload it sounds like you have the data file in a different folder than the original DL folder.
Debu

Post by Debu »

Try this:

1. Open Transmission Preferences.
- Click on the "Transfers" icon in the menu bar of the Preferences pane.
- Click on the "Adding" tab.
- Where it says "Settings: Default location", use the drop menu to set it to "Same as torrent file". Leave all other boxes unchecked (disabled).
- In the "Add window" section, check (enable) "Display adding transfer window".

2. Make sure your .torrent file is in the same folder as your data file(s). The data files must be in their original downloaded form; things may not work if you've changed the name of the files. If you're working with a batch torrent and the files downloaded in a folder or in multiple folders, those folders must be intact and in original form. You can put other files (e.g. .srt or .smi files) into the folders, but do not change the original form of the downloaded files.

3. Remove the .torrent file from Transmission's main window using the delete button.

4. Double-click on the .torrent file. The Adding Transfer window should open on your desktop. Click on the verify button before adding the .torrent into Transmission. If the verification process completes (i.e. goes to 100%), you can then add the file and begin seeding. (Just for safety's sake, I would make a copy of the downloaded file before doing this just in case something goes wrong. You can stop making a copy of the file after you get comfortable with the procedure if you like, but I usually make a copy once I start moving files around.)

5. In the future, I suggest that you place the .torrent file wherever you want the downloaded file to finally reside, and that you do this before adding the .torrent file into transmission. When you move files around after you've downloaded them, Transmission loses track of the location of the file and you have to do the above to get things started again.

Hope this helps.
nosoup911

Post by nosoup911 »

I am having this issue too...I just got an iMac and I transferred all my music over via USB from my old PC. I'm trying to re-seed all my music and I get to the verify part and nothing happens. I click Verify Local Data and I don't get a response. What do you think? I have the .torrent in with the files that it goes with so I think I'm doing everything right. I just don't have any results.
redgaz26

Post by redgaz26 »

thanks guys for the help will give it a try!!!

with the folder I'm working with I changed a few titles and such it was a big file(s) so I know now for future reference!
Debu

Post by Debu »

nosoup911 wrote:I am having this issue too...I just got an iMac and I transferred all my music over via USB from my old PC. I'm trying to re-seed all my music and I get to the verify part and nothing happens. I click Verify Local Data and I don't get a response. What do you think? I have the .torrent in with the files that it goes with so I think I'm doing everything right. I just don't have any results.
Sorry, but I've never owned a PC. :mrgreen:

Maybe it has something to do with format? I guess I'd try to download a new file just to see what happens - then compare the new file to the old - starting with the "get info" command. Sounds like a single file isn't that big so it shouldn't take too long, right?

Or maybe you didn't do step 1 (setting the default location) correctly?
Debu

Post by Debu »

redgaz26 wrote:thanks guys for the help will give it a try!!!

with the folder I'm working with I changed a few titles and such it was a big file(s) so I know now for future reference!
Another possibility:

1. Make sure that "Start transfers when added" is NOT enabled in the Preferences Pane (under "Adding" -> "Settings: Default location")

2. Add the .torrent file without verifying local data.

3. Click on "Paused" in the main Transmission window, then highlight the torrent you just added by clicking on it.

4. Click on the italicized "i" in the upper right-hand corner of the main Transmission window to open the Torrent Inspector (or just double-click on the torrent in the main window). Click on the "Files" button in the Torrent Inspector window and you should see the names of the files that were supposed to have been downloaded.

5. Make a copy of the data you downloaded, then change the names of the files back to what they were supposed to be.

6. Assuming you did all the stuff in my prior post, highlight the torrent again in the main Transmission window and use the "Verify Local Data" command under the "Transfers" drop-menu in the menu-bar. If the data is 100% verified, seeding should be OK.

MAKE SURE YOU WORK WITH A DUPLICATE OF THE FILES (just in case things don't work out).
basecase

Post by basecase »

Sorry to necrobump but i wrote a small post download script to solve this problem.
It copies the magnetLink and the .torrent and places it with the downloaded content in its own folder.
To reseed all your previuosly downloaded content I included a bash tool that searches for and addes previously
download stuff. Here is the link.

https://github.com/basecaseFM/transmiss ... ForSeed.sh