I can't download when I set my upload limit to 0

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
norssk

I can't download when I set my upload limit to 0

Post by norssk »

Hey

Just in the last few days my downloads have stopped. I can only download when I allow uploads. I don't have too much of a problem with this except that I have quite a small bandwidth limit. Is there some new setting that requires you to allow uploads in order to be allowed to download?

Thanks
Debu

Re: I can't download when I set my upload limit to 0

Post by Debu »

norssk wrote:Hey

I can only download when I allow uploads....

Thanks
No personal offense intended, but if that if that's not how it is supposed to be, IMO that's how it should be. Bit torrent only works well if everyone gives back at least as much as they take; it works really well if everyone gives back more than what they take.

There is nothing like being in a *small* swarm watching a few peers suck all my upload bandwidth while giving me back 0.7 KB/s each in return. (Why do I see 1.4 KB/s and .7 KB/s so often anyway?)
norssk

Post by norssk »

I understand that is how it works. But as I said I have a small download/upload allowance.
My question is why has it stopped working all of a sudden? I don't download much and I do allow uploads when at the end of the month I have spare bandwidth, but I have never had problems with this before.
Rolcol

Post by Rolcol »

Setting the upload to 0 blocks Transmission from communicating with the tracker and the peers since it cannot upload information to them. Users complain when Transmission doesn't stick strictly to their speed preferences so the developers had to count everything being sent and received therefore enforcing the limit on any upload.
essiw

Post by essiw »

Rolcol wrote:Setting the upload to 0 blocks Transmission from communicating with the tracker and the peers since it cannot upload information to them. Users complain when Transmission doesn't stick strictly to their speed preferences so the developers had to count everything being sent and received therefore enforcing the limit on any upload.
if that is true then just set your upload to 1kb/s
norssk

Post by norssk »

Fair enough

Its weird that it just suddenly started doing it.

thanks
essiw

Post by essiw »

well if you put your speed to 0 in 1.50b4 It goes crazy O.O it goes up to 150KB/s then to 32KB/s but never reaches zero...
The Guv

Post by The Guv »

essiw wrote:
Rolcol wrote:Setting the upload to 0 blocks Transmission from communicating with the tracker and the peers since it cannot upload information to them. Users complain when Transmission doesn't stick strictly to their speed preferences so the developers had to count everything being sent and received therefore enforcing the limit on any upload.
if that is true then just set your upload to 1kb/s
It is true, whenever you download anything from the net or other computers, your computer sends back a check to make sure that what it has received is correct. So, if you set it to 0, the computer cannot ask if it has the correct information or even ask where the latest/fastest data is coming from.

You might have to try larger data rates to see how your performance goes. Remember too that you can set Transmission to stop uploading after you've given back the same amount as you've downloaded so it doesn't have to use up all your bandwidth.

I'm very surprised the OP has actually got a cap on the amount that can be uploaded.