torrent files 'automatic pickup' directory?...

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
volenin

torrent files 'automatic pickup' directory?...

Post by volenin »

Hi,

I'm new to Transmission. Just installed the transmission daemon 1.42 under Ubuntu 8.04.2. I wonder if there is a feature similar to the one in uTorrent: picking up torrent files from a predefined directory and scheduling them automatically for the download? For example, the use case scenario is:

- I download a file from my notebook to the 'myserver:/incoming-torrents' directory hosted on my Ubuntu server
- transmission-daemon running on 'myserver' monitors the '/incoming-torrents' directory and starts downloading whatever torrents it finds there automatically, without me going to the webui and browsing for that file

So, is there such a feature in Transmission?...

Thanks!

Vlad
The Guv

Re: torrent files 'automatic pickup' directory?...

Post by The Guv »

There is that feature in Transmission, look under preferences » adding » auto add (select folder).

I haven't used the webUI so I can't comment on that but I thought you set up transmission in the normal app and then the webUI just used those prefs?

Ben.
volenin

Post by volenin »

Yep - I managed to generate settings.json file once run the transmission in the GUI mode and the 'watch-dir' (or smth like that) property got generated. Albeit, for some reason the transmission-daemon doesn't pick it up (not sure if the GUI app does). Also, browsed the code a bit and it's not in the list of 'standard' options in the transmission.h file, so I'm assuming it's an external call from the GUI app that is watching the directory and initiates the download through RPC call.

Anyways, prob. not very relevant anymore.. - I'll be switching to either Azureus or Deluge, as lack of DHT / direct peer exchange support(unless I failed to find the setting for it) proves to be a very limiting factor, at least in my case: download rates are at least order of magnitude slower than in Deluge. From what I've seen in the download stats the major contributing factor is the number of connected peers - Transmission could connect only to the original peers from the tracker (3-4 in my case), while Deluge acquired over 100 within couple of minutes, initial tracker being the same....

Vlad
guilherme

Post by guilherme »

Transmission 1.42 connects to very few peers in comparison to the 1.5 beta 4 or the nightly builds. The same statement (Deluge/uTorrent being faster) was true for me until I first tried the 1.50 betas - now Transmission's the fastest thing I've ever run on either of my 3 OSes (vista, mac os and ubuntu/arch).
On the same torrent, I get 12-25 max peers on 1.42 vs 192 on nightly build 7856 (maxed out connections limit to test it).
volenin

Post by volenin »

I'm running beta4 now.... Don't see any difference to compare with 1.42. Albeit, I'm running beta4 from PPE - haven't been compiling it myself. Which version do you use? Have the DHT been included in the latest beta4?
guilherme

Post by guilherme »

On GTK, I think I'm using yesterday's 784x build (a little bit higher than beta 4, but still close).
AFAIK, there's still no DHT on Transmission (altough I've read around about plans), but its PEX (uTorrent's Peer EXchange) does the job very well on my computers - and that's where I've seen the difference between 1.42 and the nightly builds/1.50 beta 3 and higher =).

Either way, if it is not suiting your needs and you feel like switching clients, I (personally) prefer Rakshasa's libtorrent rather than Rasterbar's. rTorrent (client for Rakshasa's libtorrent) does support "folder-watch" and DHT, besides from being faster (non-scientific, empiric opinion) than Deluge, qbittorrent and other Rasterbar based clients. The downside I see is that it's command-line only (and obviously some other stuff that I do not know/notice - after all Rasterbar is the foundation for a lot of other clients), but still a very nice client.
volenin

Post by volenin »

Hmm - compiled from the trunk the other day - the performance is way better... Will let it run for a day or two - prob. it's not as hopeless as I initially thought :).