Need help with apt-get upgrade on headless ubuntu server

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
mcclurec

Re: Need help with apt-get upgrade on headless ubuntu server

Post by mcclurec »

Totally willing to try. Any advice for a first time compiler? It's a little bit daunting. :)
demons33derxx

Post by demons33derxx »

Yea, the hard part is to make sure you have all the dependencies.

After, that it's pretty easy from there. According to the wiki you will need to run

Code: Select all

apt-get build-essential automake autoconf libtool pkg-config libcurl4-openssl-dev intltool libxml2-dev libgtk2.0-dev libnotify-dev libglib2.0-dev
Which hopefully install the compiler and all dev headers you need.
If not, the compiler will tell what it's missing and you can either search through synaptic (if you can access it with a display, if not you can use the commandline version called aptitude) and look for that file and install it's dev headers.

1) After that, download the source of the version you are looking to acquire preferably bz2 format at

http://download.m0k.org/transmission/files/
2) You will need to untar/zip the archive. so type in

tar -xvjf [i]transmission_archive_name_here[/i]
3)You must then cd into the newly created/extracted directory.

4)Then you will need to run

./configure
Configure will then begin a process of checking for dependencies/configuring the settings. If all goes well you will see some block at the end that tells you what settings it has configured for the install. I by default the GTK+ will be disabled, you will still get the daemon, and cli. If you want to change that you can look at the Compiling Transmission Wiki for more info.

5) After that command type in

make

6) Should nothing go wrong, you can then type in the final command

make install
That's all.

Again feel free to check out the Compiling Transmission Wiki
mcclurec

Post by mcclurec »

Excellent, thanks. You've been more than helpful. I have one last question before I try building it myself. To run 1.75 or higher, is it required to be running Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic)? Looking at the "Official Packages" list linked from the download page (http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywo ... ection=all) 1.51 is labeled Jaunty and 1.75 is labeled Karmic.
demons33derxx

Post by demons33derxx »

No, you can run any version so long as you have all the dependencies met, they are labeled like that because those are the versions that ship with each version of that distro. So, if you were to fresh install Jaunty (non-minimal) from CD you would get version 1.51 installed by default, but install Karmic you would recieve 1.75 by default, etc...
mcclurec

Post by mcclurec »

Excellent. That's what I expected, but I'd rather be sure than muck up the install and have to remove it and start again. I'll let you know how it goes after I try compiling.
mcclurec

Post by mcclurec »

Well, in the end, I ended up being able to do just a regular install. Damned if I know how exactly. After lots of apt-get install, apt-get remove, apt-get autoremove, etc. I got a clean install of 1.76 on the machine. Sorry that I don't have anything more conclusive to report. I guess my only advice for people with similar issues is to remove transmission, and start fresh. Thanks for all the help along the way.
elBradford

Post by elBradford »

mcclurec wrote:Well, in the end, I ended up being able to do just a regular install. Damned if I know how exactly. After lots of apt-get install, apt-get remove, apt-get autoremove, etc. I got a clean install of 1.76 on the machine. Sorry that I don't have anything more conclusive to report. I guess my only advice for people with similar issues is to remove transmission, and start fresh. Thanks for all the help along the way.
I'm glad to hear you got it working! I'm in the same boat with my SheevaPlug. I ended getting 1.80 installed on mine using the guide above and the one in the wiki. Check out my blog post about it if you're interested in installing 1.80.
Longinus00

Post by Longinus00 »

If you guys are compiling then you might want to give checkinstall a try. It's a program that automatically generates deb/rpm/slackware packages.
I currently use this to generate debs(run it in the same directory you would run make in):

sudo checkinstall -D --install=no --fstrans=yes \
--pkgname=transmission --backup=no --deldoc=yes --deldesc=yes --delspec=yes  --default \
--provides=transmission-cli,transmission-daemon,transmission-common,transmission-gtk \
--pkgversion='`grep "LONG_VERSION_STRING" libtransmission/version.h | cut -d"\"" -f2 | sed "s/[()]//g" | sed "s/ /-/g" | sed "s/+/+b/g"`'
This command should be run after you make, it replaces the 'make install' command.
If you're going to separate the different components (transmission-common, transmission-gtk, etc) then edit the "pgkname" and "provides" section accordingly. Make sure to set the options you want with the configure script.
dheerajjotwani

Post by dheerajjotwani »

i have a similar situation. i am running a Tonidoplug booting armel jaunty 9.04.

transmission installs and works fine through apt-get. version installed is 1.51. apt-get upgrade does nothing... i tried compiling for the first time using https://trac.transmissionbt.com/wiki/Building guide. things go well till the point where i get libevent 1.4.9 or higher needed error on executing the ./configure command.

i aint good at this... can someone help me upgrade to the latest version of transmission for my arm processor embedded Tonidoplug