When Accidentally Clicking "Verify Local Data"..

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
forgetclosure

When Accidentally Clicking "Verify Local Data"..

Post by forgetclosure »

I know this probably isn't a bug, and is probably intended, but my connection resets often because of a crappy isp, and i end up having to click "ask tracker for more peers" to speed up the process of re-connecting with the tracker and getting more peers. I sometimes end up accidentally clicking "verify local data" which of course, is completely not what i wanted, and verifying 35-40gb on a pentium 4, with 512mb ram, is not fun; it slows down my computer considerably, makes transmission and other programs of mine crash, and takes over 8 hours even when transmission is the only program running. why is there no way to stop this verification process? i would understand if i wouldn't be able to stop the process on a newly-added or newly-downloaded torrent, but if the data has been verified as fine before, and there are no noticable errors with uploading or data, why not enable users to stop the process? i know that verification is important for not only local data, but other users to whom you are seeding, but my before-mentioned point still stands - if it's already been verified as fine and nothing has changed within transmission, why not be able to stop it?
ryukenjo

Re: When Accidentally Clicking "Verify Local Data"..

Post by ryukenjo »

I have the exact same problem with you in accidentally clicking 'verify local data' while asking tracker for more peers. And to top it off I am in the middle of a 473GB file transfer! Is there a method of stopping the process of verifying local data for a torrent in the middle of transfer? Any help will be appreciated! Thank you so much!!
ryukenjo

Post by ryukenjo »

Latest Update:

1) I removed the affected torrent (there is only x1 473GB torrent in my queue. Was hoping to brute stop the 'verify local data' command) while leaving the half downloaded contents in their original file location - in my NAS harddisk.

2) Added original torrent file again, leaving every settings intact, restarted download once more, but the 'verify local data' command adds itself automatically to the same download request & path once again. (I believe this automated stage for 'verifying local data' check to be intended because the torrent needs to know where to begin from the previous aborted download.) I did not power down the NAS machine all this while.

3) One observation from the above attempt to brute halt the verification step is - the verification process is now faster in comparison to the time before I had commenced the above steps.

As a lay person, other than observing a significant speed increase towards verifying local data after performing the above steps, can any guru kindly advise if there can be a work around for unintended initiation of the 'verify local data' command while in the midst of downloading a torrent?

Perhaps adding an additional code for user confirmation if a manual input for 'verify local data' is detected? My limited coding knowledge for this matter is regretable and I hope there can be a viable solution in the next updates?

I am using Transmission 2.73 (Built 13592) for DLink ShareCenter DNS-320L.

I will post progress once the verification stage ends. Keeping my fingers crossed! Hopes the torrent manage to continue downloading from the seeds again after an unintended click from a leaping mouse cursor!
ryukenjo

Post by ryukenjo »

Latest Update:

OK, after attempts in my previous post, verifying speed for local data significantly increased and the 473GB torrent is downloading again after accidentally clicking 'verify local data'.

Hope this post helps anyone who has accidentally clicked 'verify local data' like we did.

Thank you to the administrators and the owner/s of this forum for providing the open & free platform for us to communicate and exchange useful information.

*PEACE