low copy speed of downloaded files with transmission!

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
kwstas

low copy speed of downloaded files with transmission!

Post by kwstas »

hi,

whenever i was trying to copy a file(of at least 500-700 mb) and paste it even on the same hdd partition, i had terribly low speeds(around 5mins for 700 mb).
i have even made a fresh reinstall of ubuntu. i had taken a copy of all my files before(long waiting!) so i pasted them back in my "home" and tried again to copy. speed was normal, no delays!

unfortunatelly that wasn't it!
i kept on trying to copy files so i noticed that the low copy speed was happening when i was copying a file that i had downloaded with transmission!
apparently there is some kind of bug in writting of data to hdd from transmission. i just suppose this because the files that i had backed up and then copied them back were also downloaded with transmission but their copy came in normal speed after that backup.
i also tried this to downloaded files with "firefox" and "qbittorrent" and there is no problem of low speed!

i had hard time with this issue and i hope my post to help others.
BlueMhz

Re: low copy speed of downloaded files with transmission!

Post by BlueMhz »

Hi,

I only started using Transmission a few weeks ago, and I have noticed this too. After a file has finished downloading, it takes much longer to move it to another disk than I would expect.

I have downloaded approx 3 files of approx 700Mb each in the last few days, and each took about 2 minutes to move to a network share, which makes the transfer rate approx 6Mb/s.

However if I put a 700Mb file into the transmission download directory (that wasn't downloaded with transmission) I can move it to the same network share in about 25 seconds, which makes the transfer rate approx 28Mb/s, which is the sort of figure I expect for my setup.

The only thing I haven't tested, is after the the initial move out of the transmission download directory, if moving the file again to another directory takes as long again. I'll test this when I get home.

Just for info my setup is:

Transmission 1.91
Debian 5.04 (ReiserFS filesystem)
jstnmarsh

Post by jstnmarsh »

That's true, improper fragmentation could be the reason behind this. There are a couple of cases where people had to deal with pretty slow running processes. Try fragmenting the partition and try the process again. The fragmentation helps to maintain the files in a better format. I hope this solves the problem related to the high amount of time required to copy the downloaded data to a different location.
kwstas

Post by kwstas »

i had a clean(formated) partition where the 2 or 3 files where downloaded!
why should there be a fragmentation problem? i really can't understand this :(
i thought that fragmentation is something you forget with linux...
kwstas

Post by kwstas »

Something to do with fragmentation during download?

http://trac.transmissionbt.com/wiki/Edi ... s#Advanced

preallocation: Number (0 = Off, 1 = Fast, 2 = Full (slower but reduces disk fragmentation), default = 1)

thank you x190!
i changed the preallocation number to 2 and it seems that i have no problem any more!
though i don't understand what exactly is this.... anyway if "slower" means download speed, is NOT!