Country Flags

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
drsassafras

Country Flags

Postby drsassafras » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:45 am

Deluge has country flags beside the peers. It's a neat feature that has helped me to understand the cultural interest in the torrents I'm using. Thought if its simple to implement it might be a neat feature for Transmission.

Thanks for the great app guys.

killemov

Re: Country Flags

Postby killemov » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:39 pm

It is NOT simple AND you will lose anonymity.

drsassafras

Postby drsassafras » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:31 pm

The country is figured out from an IP address. As long as the IP address is provided, one is no more or less anonymous if the country is determined.

Remember that its also not always correct. Using a VPN may change the outcome, and I've seen different geo-location software sometimes return different results.

This kind of lookup happens, on well over 80% websites that one visits. Google uses it to figure out language settings, advertisers use it to target advertising, it gets logged in web-traffic statistics.

I'm also not sure I agree with your idea of anonymity. I think of anonymity as something where a user can remain unidentified. Providing a likely country is not much help (if any) in identifying a specific user. However, if you know the IP address, then you can likely do it with a court order. So it sounds to me like you're concerned about making a mountain bigger by depositing a cup full of soil on it... to be sure it will make the mountain bigger, but anyone who really tries to investigate will never know the difference.

cfpp2p

Postby cfpp2p » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:51 pm

Upgrade GeoIP Lite to GeoLite2 #1104
https://github.com/transmission-remote- ... ssues/1104
peace doesn't come without a price...
there is nothing truer on Earth or of the Universe

Return to “Requests”