Make Transmission Windows Smaller ...

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
josephj

Make Transmission Windows Smaller ...

Post by josephj »

I'm using Transmission 2.01 (10898) on kubuntu karmic Linux, but I think most of this would be very similar on Windows or a Mac.

Problem:

I spend a lot of time hooked up to an ADSL line (slow - especially for uploads). As a consequence, whenever I can, I manually manage my torrents to maximize finishing them, giving bandwidth to torrents when scarce seeders or leechers appear, etc.. To do this, I right click on a number of torrents and select properties. With these properties windows open, I can see exactly what each torrent is doing and I can also control their individual bandwidths. This works brilliantly although it is labor intensive. The problem is the minimum size of the windows....

The main transmission window and each of the properties windows have a minimum size that is very large. When only a few torrents are displayed or only a few peers are active, most of the window is empty, useless, white space.

If I tile the windows, I can only fit the main window and one properties window on one desktop. Any more will have to be partially off the screen.

If I cascade the windows, then I can stack four to six properties windows so that what I need to see is still visible (the great sorting feature gets whatever I need to see most in the top few lines). But, every time I click on one of them it to do something, it comes to the front and covers everything else. So, when I'm done with it, I have to click on all the other windows that were stacked on top of it to get the display back to where it was.

I could minimize or shade the windows, but then I couldn't see what all of them were doing at a glance.

Requests/suggestions:

There are a couple of things (I can think of) that could be done to help this situation (other than just getting a higher bandwidth connection or a multiple-head video display <G> ).

1) Get rid of whatever prevents the windows from getting smaller - especially vertically (but horizontally would be nice too). There's no *visually* obvious reason for them to be that big. I can make them bigger, but not smaller than they start out. Hopefully, this one would require very little coding and testing.

2) Make the properties windows separate windows - ones that show up separately in the taskbar. That way, some of them could be moved to a different desktop than the rest allowing more of them or more of each one to be visible. (This almost works right in OpenOffice.org where I can have different documents open on different desktops. Their only bug is that the window selector within a document window won't cross desktops.)

These two changes could work together for even greater flexibility.

Thanks for taking a look at this.

Joe
Last edited by josephj on Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
josephj

Re: Make Transmission Windows Smaller ...

Post by josephj »

I just realized that this has been implemented. It works just the way I want it to.

I'm not sure when the change was added, but it's in my current release, transmission-gtk 2.31

Thanks!

Joe

I'm sure it worked yesterday, but today it doesn't. Only the main window can be made smaller - not the properties windows. I didn't change anything I'm aware of.
josephj

Post by josephj »

Still here and still want this feature. It's the main thing I dislike about Transmission, a program I have been using for over a decade.
Undesirable

Post by Undesirable »

josephj wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:24 am Still here and still want this feature. It's the main thing I dislike about Transmission, a program I have been using for over a decade.
Have you tried Transmission Remote GUI?

https://github.com/transmission-remote- ... ses/latest

I would venture to say that if Transmission's own GUI doesn't work the way you want it to now, and hasn't done in a decade, then it never will. It's designed to be a barebones thing with no bells and whistles, so you may need to use a 3rd party utility (GUI) which connects to the daemon and so I've linked you my favourite one.
josephj

Post by josephj »

I have never experimented with any alternative front ends. Thanks. I'll try it.