A Grid Based Scheduler

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
daniel.r.roberts

A Grid Based Scheduler

Post by daniel.r.roberts »

Hi, I would like to know who else would like an improved scheduler added to the gtk version of transmission. I and many others have plans that encourage you to download during the wee hours.

Now a while back I used utorrent when I was windows based and loved the simple grid based interface. Now I am using Ubuntu I found that while transmission is an awesome torrent application (simple, elegant and powerful) I found it's scheduling GUI terrible.

At the moment you can schedule by setting the normal download speed in preferences to zero and overriding that during specific hours with the scheduled times set to non-zero values. I think this is a really unintuitive and only lets you set one time period. The grid based system lets you visualise the schedule and lets you set seeding only times as well as download times. e.g seed all the time download between 2:00am and 6:00am.

Have a look at the pictures I have included and decide if you would like a grid scheduler added to the GTK gui.

I am a software developer and would be happy to add the feature if it is desired.

So what do you think?
Was too big finally got it to work!
Was too big finally got it to work!
Screenshot.jpg (219.03 KiB) Viewed 12985 times
Last edited by daniel.r.roberts on Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
daniel.r.roberts

Re: A Grid Based Scheduler

Well I don't have much experience with writing code on macs, but if I get this going on linux I would be happy to have a crack.
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Post by Jordan »

This might be something worth doing. There's never been a flood of requests for this a la UDP Trackers, but still, a lot of users have asked for this. In fact, some of libtransmission's code was written with this extra flexibility in mind, so the patch might not even be that large.

If the GUI was simple, small, and straightforward enough, I'd be in favor of this at least in the GTK+ and Qt clients.

Moving this thread from the GTK+ forum to the General forum in case other Mac people want to weigh in on this too.
daniel.r.roberts

Great, I have a friend who is a interface designer. I'll get her to draw something up. I like the sound of that extra flexibility, the simpler the patch the better.
SirBOB

Post by SirBOB »

Hi guys, any update on this feature? I would love to have this included in Transmission.
damo911

Post by damo911 »

I'm also looking for something a bit like this are there any updates?

I want it to be like uTorrent, as I've been trying to make my Synology NAS with Transmission do certain things like uTorrent so I can retire my windows machine running utorrent 24/7.
The biggest feature I'm looking for is to be able to schedule to download only in my ISP's off-peak period and to seed(upload) 24/7 as my ISP doesn't count upload data towards my limit.
It would also be handy to "force a download" to ignore those rules, when I'm in a rush to get one or two particular torrents downloaded.

These are the final two features I believe I need to retire my Windows Machine and use Transmission on my NAS.
damo911

Post by damo911 »

damo911 wrote:I'm also looking for something a bit like this are there any updates?

I want it to be like uTorrent, as I've been trying to make my Synology NAS with Transmission do certain things like uTorrent so I can retire my windows machine running utorrent 24/7.
The biggest feature I'm looking for is to be able to schedule to download only in my ISP's off-peak period and to seed(upload) 24/7 as my ISP doesn't count upload data towards my limit.
It would also be handy to "force a download" to ignore those rules, when I'm in a rush to get one or two particular torrents downloaded.

These are the final two features I believe I need to retire my Windows Machine and use Transmission on my NAS.
I think I worked out how to fix my problems. It's easier than I thought.
Transmission-Qt client seemed to make it easier to do.
Edit -> Preferences -> Speed
Limit download speed: 0KiB/s
Limit upload speed: 500Kib/s
at scheduled times (peak period) (opposite to off-peak period that I was originally putting in [I think it's opposite to how utorrent does, so maybe a bit confusing but still great])

then if I want to "force a download". On a torrent, Right-click "properties" and go to "options".
Under speed untick "Honor global limits" and it works.

Haven't tested it completely but this will make me very happy indeed if it does work out properly. :)
XAPBob

Post by XAPBob »

Just to add a call for this - I'm currently using Transmission (as a plugin to FreeNAS, so it will take some time for features to propogate) purely over the WebUI.

However my ISP has somewhat vigorous throttling enabled, and the times of restriction are different (longer) over the weekend.

The single time period really could do with improvement.

Else is there a mechanism whereby I can toggle/set the limits from the command line?
blacke4dawn

Post by blacke4dawn »

XAPBob wrote:Else is there a mechanism whereby I can toggle/set the limits from the command line?
Check if they supply transmission-remote.