Verify local data when download completes

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
jlborger

Verify local data when download completes

Post by jlborger »

I thought it would be a convenient option to automatically verify local data of a torrent that has just finished downloading. I mean, there's the option to "play a sound" when a download completes, but could there be an option to "play a sound" and "verify local data"?
rb07

Re: Verify local data when download completes

Post by rb07 »

You don't need to verify after downloading... the data has been verified when download completes, its done piece by piece, and you can see a "corrupt" amount (with transmission-remote, or just a bigger downloaded than have) for those pieces that failed verification.

For instance:

Code: Select all

$ transmission-remote hpmediavault -n admin:password -t 18 -i
NAME
  Id: 18
  Name: R...
  Hash: b...

TRANSFER
  State: Idle
  Percent Done: 100%
  ETA: 0 seconds
  Download Speed: 0 KiB/s
  Upload Speed: 0 KiB/s
  Have: 350.4 MiB (350.4 MiB verified)         <-----------
  Availability: 100%
  Total size: 350.4 MiB (350.4 MiB wanted)
  Downloaded: 355.3 MiB                        <-----------
  Uploaded: 576.9 MiB
  Ratio: 1.62
  Corrupt DL: None                             <----------- ?
Corrupt should be the difference btw. Downloaded and Have, and I know it works since I've seen the value there, but don't know why this torrent doesn't have one.
fekcwa

Post by fekcwa »

I have had several torrents "complete" the download and begin seeding. To be on the safe side, I always run "verify local data". It is very irritating to get a message that the download is incomplete after all. I have to change the .avi to .avi.part to start the download again.
killemov

Post by killemov »

rb07 wrote:You don't need to verify after downloading... the data has been verified when download completes, its done piece by piece, and you can see a "corrupt" amount (with transmission-remote, or just a bigger downloaded than have) for those pieces that failed verification.
Corrupt should be the difference btw. Downloaded and Have, and I know it works since I've seen the value there, but don't know why this torrent doesn't have one.
fekcwa wrote:I have had several torrents "complete" the download and begin seeding. To be on the safe side, I always run "verify local data". It is very irritating to get a message that the download is incomplete after all. I have to change the .avi to .avi.part to start the download again.
I have had several completed torrents now that were stated as complete but were corrupt. I now ALWAYS verify completed torrents and every once in a while a corrupt one comes up. But what happens when a corrupted block is transmitted?
Renara

Post by Renara »

I'm another that sometimes find a torrent is fully downloaded, but one or corrupt blocks have gone unnoticed. Should this be impossible, i.e - is it a potential bug with the live verification, or is it something that is known to happen in certain cases? Personally I think a verify on complete is a good safeguard, and I wouldn't mind having the option, even if it's on the paranoid side.
Altair

Post by Altair »

I really would like to see a optional feature to rehash on completion as well (like rtorrent). Usage example:

I'm on OSX 10.5 running transmission-daemon 2.42. Yesterday my machine crashed while downloading a large torrent (not due to the download). Anyway, I rebooted and checked the filesystem for integrity. After that I restarted the client, which resumed the download. When I checked back the next day, the download was stopped (I set up the client to seed indefinitely) with the file completion being 99%. So I manually started a rehash, after that the completion was down to 96%. Then I had to manually restart the torrent again. In contrast rtorrent would have rehashed the file automatically and restarted it again immediately. I'd like to see that kind of behaviour from (at least the daemonized flavour) of the client as well, going along with the idea of least manual interaction with the whole process. Just drop the torrent file in the watch dir, and wait for the finished file to appear in the corresponding folder (utilizing the "move on completion" option).

Anyway, just my 2 cent on the topic.
killemov

Post by killemov »

There are quite a number of "verification" topics on this forum. I haven't seen any reassuring words from the devs yet. I have encountered a reproducible corruption after resuming from a full disk.
sizzlemctwizzle

Post by sizzlemctwizzle »

It happened to me so often (usually on very large downloads) and the devs have stated that they would rather play wack-a-mole with live verification then add this feature. So I put together something myself.