[Feature Request] Streaming Videos

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
blitz49

[Feature Request] Streaming Videos

Post by blitz49 »

Its a feature in utorrent and I found it very useful.I think other people would also find it useful.

Streaming: Watch videos within seconds with progressive downloads – no need to wait. Especially great for previewing a file before committing to the full download.
killemov

Re: [Feature Request] Streaming Videos

Post by killemov »

I haven't used utorrent for a while, but block-sequence downloading is considered harmful to torrent health in general.
Renara

Post by Renara »

Wouldn't this only work for movie files built for streaming anyway? Some movie file types can't always be opened until the whole file is downloaded anyway, or they are very badly corrupted visually.
blitz49

Post by blitz49 »

@killemov I'm not sure bout its effect on torrent health in general.I'll do some more reading on it and get back to u.

@Renara yes only for specified formats like .avi,.mkv etc.The answer is no unfinished downloads are not visually corrupted atleast with common formats such as avi,mkv they are just not complete.whatever part has been downloaded is in perfect quality that is of the original file.The condition is that the first and last 8Mb(not sure exactlly how much but 8Mb works well for 700Mb file) of the file should be completely downloaded for the player to correctly recognize it and play it.You can try for yourself..use VLC media player and a half downloaded file..it could come from your download manager(wget) or probably try out utorrent's feature..
bbk

Post by bbk »

Let people to decide whether they want to enable streaming or not. But this future is very useful, it must be there.
At Windows PC I'm using utorrent with video streaming often, it is very useful thing.
killemov

Post by killemov »

Close, but no cigar. This is about downloading blocks in sequence, not files. uTorrent seems to have implemented this.
bbk

Post by bbk »

Great function: see film before it fully downloaded.

On-Demand Streaming in uTorrent
How does streaming work in uTorrent?
slacka

Post by slacka »

Instead of using sequential downloading pieces to enable streaming, I would like to see transmission use the piece priority feature to create a streaming buffer. This is discussed here:
https://trac.transmissionbt.com/ticket/2632
The main benefit of using piece deadlines is that the fast peers will be used first, to download those pieces. the sequential download feature will make any peer request happen in sequential order, including the very slow peers. the order in which pieces are requested is not necessarily the order they complete.

The other benefit of piece deadline is that any spare bandwidth, not required to request the deadline pieces, will be used for normal rarest-first downloading. This would address the biggest concerns of streaming/sequential downloading being detrimental to the health of the torrent. This is how utorrent has implement this feature for years now.
bugmenot

Post by bugmenot »

This is the only reason why i haven't switch to Transmission yet...

Consider this senario:
  • I download the hole movie and wait until i can see the video cuz as you know, transmission can't priority the first peaces. Then after it is finish after 10 minutes with my ultra-super-duper-fast-network i don't need to share it anymore cuz as you guessed, I'm a ego... so i delete the torrent from my PC and shutdown transmission to save CPU/battery and bandwidth. and the torrent gets a bad health.
  • Now if i were to be able to stream the video then I would have started transmission. started the movie and let it be on for the rest of the movie that is 2 hour long and share some data to other user and end up with a higher share ratio then i would if i just deleted it after 10 minutes.
I think that all talk about a torrent getting a bad health if you do sequential download is B*shit!
People is still going to share to the world uTorrent, popcorn-time, vuze and even netflix and spotify are some example that already dose this.
And if the torrent site is private then even more so to stay registered with a good ratio and benefits

The topic for video ON-DEMAND is hotter then ever before. Folks expect that now days and they want to be able to see a movie when ever they want and not one hour later. and that is why people look for faster/better alternatives and will avoid transmission.