Automatically Adding Trackers

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
Renara

Automatically Adding Trackers

Post by Renara »

One of the things I commonly find with stalled downloads is that the .torrent file only contains a small portion of the trackers that are aware of the file. As a result I often look-up such torrents (or even new ones that I'm only just adding) on sites like torrentz.eu in order to find the full list of trackers that I can use in order to try to get more peers and kick-start the download again.

I'm curious though, as I'm not that familiar with the protocol, but is there currently any way to automatically add new trackers, for example by querying peers? This seems like it would be useful as a method to ensure that everybody's .torrent ends up with the same list of possible trackers over time, but I frequently see torrents with only a single tracker, that eventually become stale unless others are added.

I know that features like Distributed Hash Tables and Peer Exchange kind of cover this, but unless the torrent is really popular then these methods seem to still rely on you getting enough peers from some initial tracker before they can build a suitably long list of peers.

Anyway, I'm curious if such a feature already exists, or if there are any thoughts on whether Transmission could or should implement one? One of the good possible solutions I thought of may be to allow us to set "global" trackers; basically a list of public trackers that are automatically added to new torrents, this way open trackers such as tracker.example.com could be added to all transfers, since it usually ends up tracking most torrents anyway.
UberMadScientist

Re: Automatically Adding Trackers

Post by UberMadScientist »

DEFINITELY.
This is a great feature request - If there was some sort of repository / database of trackers,

If the Transmission client:
looked at the trackers listed in each of the downloads that are started / imported,
compared all listed trackers with the repository / database,
checked the status of the trackers (up/down/etc),
automatically removed trackers that are defunct / dead / non-responsive,
automatically selected top 2, 5, 10, all trackers for that file,
automatically updated all trackers with file stats either at shutdown or if not able to at that time - on next program restart ... program restart would be good as it would allow the program to shut down quickly and then take care of the tracker updating in the background when the program is already going to be running for a while anyways,

I'm sure others could think of additional tasks / features for this.
Bob-El

Post by Bob-El »

I would like to be able to add trackers to Transmission also. In Windoze I have been using uTorrent for years and everytime I download a duplicate torrent it asks me if I'd like to add the trackers to my download. I like Transmission very much but I find its lacking of this feature very annoying.
hamzaghzili

Post by hamzaghzili »

A suggestion... What if Transmission had an option in preferences to add trackers. What I mean is that an open text area comes as option in the preferences to paste your own trackers so that transmission easily can add them to all the downloads that are active.

Regards

Hamza
fbc

Post by fbc »

yeah I'd like to see this as well.
amontero

Post by amontero »

+1
Found relevant issue (closed state?) at https://trac.transmissionbt.com/ticket/3995