[ANSWERED] Automatic file splitting for fat32 drives

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
beeb

[ANSWERED] Automatic file splitting for fat32 drives

Post by beeb »

Hi everybody,

Today I came across a problem as I wanted to download a large file with Transmission. Since I have a 128 GB SSD in my computer, I sometimes wish I could download large files directly on my FAT32 thumb drive. This is not allowed with Transmission since it creates the file before beginning the transfer (and FAT32 has a limit of 4 GB per file). I suggest a feature where the user could choose a file splitting max size before the download validation, and then Transmission would automatically chop the files that are larger than the given value as it creates them (using one/many well-known splitting methods such as HjSplit or WinSplit).

Thanks for reading this and see you soon !

beeb
blacke4dawn

Re: Automatic file splitting for fat32 drives

Post by blacke4dawn »

Not sure but I think this would bring more trouble than it's worth, due to all the check summing and such.
beeb

Post by beeb »

Checksumming is not mandatory. I think HjSplit is simple splitting without verification. Maybe developers of the project can tell us if it's possible or not to do it. :)
blacke4dawn

Post by blacke4dawn »

I was talking about the checksumming that it does due to being a torrent, not the one it may do due to splitting the file.

I'm sure it is possible to do, I was saying that I think it will bring in more trouble than it's worth, mainly due to the extremely low number of people who would benefit from it.
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Post by Jordan »

automatic file splitting is not going to happen in Transmission.