Allow Transmission to monitor/activate Mac OS's VPN.

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
scooterbaga

Allow Transmission to monitor/activate Mac OS's VPN.

Post by scooterbaga »

Hello,

Usage of VPN and proxies are going to be on the rise. I've found a couple on off requests/tickets regarding adding VPN/Proxy support to Transmission. They're always shot down. I doubt much will come of my own attempt either.

However, they seem to be getting shot down because it's difficult to implement that sort of thing within the app itself. The OS already has a pretty slick interface for VPN. There's also a nice little script available (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7254) to quit/open Transmission based on the VPN's status.

Can Transmission be updated to work with the existing OS VPN service? I've seen widgets that will provide a button to connect/disconnect the OS's VPN and show its current status. Seems like a simple addition to have Transmission disallow all connections if the OS's VPN isn't active. Perhaps even allow Transmission to prompt the OS to connect to the VPN.
Last edited by scooterbaga on Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blacke4dawn

Re: Allow Transmission to monitor/activate the OS's VPN.

Post by blacke4dawn »

Which OS are you talking about here? If Mac OS X then it might be as easy as you think it is (no idea though since I haven't worked with OS X at all), but under GNU/Linux it would be a nightmare due to the number of different VPN solutions that exists out there (especially if you add in anonymizer services, like tor).
scooterbaga

Re: Allow Transmission to monitor/activate the OS's VPN.

Post by scooterbaga »

I'm referring to Mac OS.
blacke4dawn

Re: Allow Transmission to monitor/activate Mac OS's VPN.

Post by blacke4dawn »

Thought so, but it seems that the Transmission devs wants to implement things on a as wide base as possible, so unless they find a way to make it work for all supported platforms I think your best bet would be a user patched version.