DHT trackerless

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
aslam

DHT in CVS!!

Post by aslam »

mechanic wrote:libtorrent (cvs version) has just added dht support. it's c++ and bsd licensed.

Awesome...

Which DHT is it - Azureus or Manline? So does that mean that if I get the latest OS X SVN it will have DHT? I haven't seen it in the Changelog. I'm sorry if I'm asking an obvious question but I am new to this.

Thanks!
Stross

Post by Stross »

libtorrent is not libtransmission. A number of people have been pointing to code from other projects hoping the developers here will borrow and add it to Transmission.
jah

Post by jah »

mechanic wrote:libtorrent (cvs version) has just added dht support. it's c++ and bsd licensed.
Hmmm, the licenses are compatible. Is the fact that it is c++ a problem?

Hopefully this gets used!
bollywood

Post by bollywood »

Is there any work being done on this feature?

the PEX that was recently added to the nightlies is fantastic! DHT would make transmission, one of the best clients around.
softwareelves
Web Interface Developer

Post by softwareelves »

bollywood wrote:Is there any work being done on this feature?

the PEX that was recently added to the nightlies is fantastic! DHT would make transmission, one of the best clients around.
no one is working on it as of now, and it looks to be a pretty distant feature unless we "steal" it from another open source project.
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

softwareelves wrote:
bollywood wrote:Is there any work being done on this feature?

no one is working on it as of now, and it looks to be a pretty distant feature unless we "steal" it from another open source project.
Why would you say we would steal it?
softwareelves
Web Interface Developer

Post by softwareelves »

livings124 wrote:Why would you say we would steal it?
By "steal" i meant "to use", it'd have to be open source and have the right license. Code coping always feels like stealing to me. Kinda like coping answers to a test or something :P
chucker

Post by chucker »

softwareelves wrote:
livings124 wrote:Why would you say we would steal it?
By "steal" i meant "to use", it'd have to be open source and have the right license. Code coping always feels like stealing to me.
If the license fits, it isn't stealing. Rather, it's using the license for exactly what it was intended for. ;)
aslam

Is the PEX inlcuded in 0.70 the same as DHT?

Post by aslam »

I stopped using Transmission and went back to Azureus because T's lack of DHT meant that I was getting significantly slower speeds than Az (T's 20KB/s vs AZ's150KB/s.) However recently I read that the 0.70 version of Transmission included something called Peer Exchange (PEX). Is this the same thing as the DHT Trackerless option that we were requesting in this topic? If so maybe I can give Transmission another try. If not can someone explain the difference?

Thanks,
Aslam
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

DHT would really be useful. when the tracker.com went down azureus was still able to function without any problem. and now that tracker.example.com is blocking US ips its useful there as well. is DHT even on the todo list for transmission?
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

No one's currently working on it.
leena

Post by leena »

I'd really like to see this feature also. How about using something like http://opendht.org as a first step?
Taskman

Post by Taskman »

leena wrote:I'd really like to see this feature also. How about using something like http://opendht.org as a first step?
Planetlab. No thanks. :roll:
tiennou

Post by tiennou »

Right now implemeting DHT requires taking care of the inner workings of it : a Kademlia implementation. Then, when you have this working, you'll have to hack it around to make it work with a special protocol (like the Bittorrent DHT protocol, based on bencoded RPC calls ;-), but there's also eDonkey, Azureus, ...), which makes the Bittorrent DHT unique, and not easily interoperable, since it will only understand things told in Bittorrent DHT. So openDHT can't be used (but I have no real proof) because it's not contacting any of the Bittorrent DHT networks available (Azureus or libtorrent), so while you can do requests on it for torrent hashes, you won't get peers information back, so it's useless ;-).
btrack

Post by btrack »

Had to install Azureus today. I didn't want to.

DHT would make Transmission the one and only bt app on my drive.

please add this feature. :cry:

thanks for an almost perfect product!!