DHT trackerless

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
jah

DHT trackerless

Post by jah »

I don't know how hard this would be to implement, however it would allow me to turf Azureus in the bin forever.

And for all you peeps who visit private trackers etc, maybe we can have an option to turn it off/on. Because for some users, it really is beneficial.

Also some sort of notification that you've port forwarded successfully would be a good idea for new users who aren't sure. It doesn't have to be like the smilies in Azureus, maybe a green light down the bottom or something.
ddv

Post by ddv »

As I sad in my last post, I think that DHT is a VERY important feature, also because there is not many torrent client on Linux/Mac OS X, which have DHT, and it is a feature which is need to get many torrent files to work, because many trackeres is very busy (or down).

I hope it will possible to have a feature to turn it off, but if not, I still think DHT should be implemented, because off what I sad above.
JonTD

Post by JonTD »

Titer has already said that he's looking at putting DHT and/or TEX into Transmission.
ddv

Post by ddv »

Titer has already said that he's looking at putting DHT and/or TEX into Transmission.
sorry JonTD I had not search the forum. :oops:

should TEX not be PEX (peer exchange)
:)

Does anybody know is if it will be Azureus or Mainline DHT that will be implemented? And how long before it will be implemented?

I agree with jah, most private tracker will not band a client which respect the rules, so I can not see the big problem with DHT.
Neo

Re: DHT trackerless

Post by Neo »

jah wrote:Also some sort of notification that you've port forwarded successfully would be a good idea for new users who aren't sure. It doesn't have to be like the smilies in Azureus, maybe a green light down the bottom or something.
Stuff like that can be implemented in the Preference pane > Like "Network" in System Preferences. The interface will become way too cluttered. :)

But yeah I can see how a DHT could be very useful when implemented correctly. It's also the reason why a lot of Torrents will connect with BitComet on my PC but fail with Transmission (won't connect or very slow download speeds).
Last edited by Neo on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jah

Post by jah »

Neowave wrote:
jah wrote:Also some sort of notification that you've port forwarded successfully would be a good idea for new users who aren't sure. It doesn't have to be like the smilies in Azureus, maybe a green light down the bottom or something.
Stuff like that can be implemented in the Preference pane > Like "Network" in System Preferences. The interface will become way too cluttered. :)
Fully agree, like i said, doesn't have to be like Azureus. But i think it would be handy to be there, because often you don't know whether you've forwarded correctly.

Of course, all this is moot if Titer can implement UPnP into Transmission... :)

I suppose the only downside of DHT is that it consumes more resources, so some users of this program may like the option to disable it. Doesn't bother me though. Even with the extra overhead, it'd be no where near the bloat that Azureus creates...
Last edited by jah on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jah

Post by jah »

Neowave wrote:
jah wrote:Of course, all this is moot if Titer can implement UPnP into Transmission... :)
What's that? Kinda new to all this. ;)
Universal Plug and Play. In other words, automatic port forwarding. ie you enter the port in T and T does the rest with regards to your router etc.

In the apple world its called NAT-PMP, or Bonjour i think.

Never worry about damned routers again!
Last edited by jah on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JonTD

Post by JonTD »

jah wrote:I suppose the only downside of DHT is that it consumes more resources, so some users of this program may like the option to disable it. Doesn't bother me though. Even with the extra overhead, it'd be no where near the bloat that Azureus creates...
Azureus feels "bloated" and "slow" mostly because Java GUI code is almost always extremely slow.

The backend of Azureus is actually quite nice.
ddv

Post by ddv »

Just a quick thought maybe it would be an idea to work together with other *nix torrent clients to do DHT.

I know Ktorrent on Linux is also having trouble with DHT implementing
jah

Post by jah »

ddv wrote:Just a quick thought maybe it would be an idea to work together with other *nix torrent clients to do DHT.

I know Ktorrent on Linux is also having trouble with DHT implementing
I think ideally though, you'd want an implementation that taps into a very large source of peers (ie the Azureus DHT, or the Mainline etc DHT).

Unless of course you mean working with these clients to create a DHT which would tap into the above. That would be a good idea, as i think this feature is pretty complicated for just one person to figure out. (Although if titer did, he'd be a genius! :) )
ddv

Post by ddv »

I meant working with these clients to get DHT, because like you point out DHT is very complicated :)
Neo

Post by Neo »

So any updates regarding this matter?
InfernoSoul

Post by InfernoSoul »

Yeah I am kind of curious on this also.
ddv

Post by ddv »

what I can get from this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kademlia the Mainline DHT uses the http://khashmir.sourceforge.net/ implementation of Kademlia (DHT) if it can be of any help
overlook

Post by overlook »

some trackers as P.Bay without dht are unusable the dht of azureus rocks.

wait for transmission.