DHT trackerless

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
firewalker

Need DHT a way too much

Post by firewalker »

I'm personally tried to download BigBuckBunny (free and cool animation made with Blender free software) and then ... uhm... figured out that their tracker just NOT RESPONDS to me for some unknown reasons. So, Transmission has rendered into useless piece of bytes since it is impossible to start download (no peers known - hence, no downloads). Then, other client which can handle DHT did the job easily... but I still like Transmission so DHT is a MUST. Tracker is a weak part of torrent protocol, DHT relaxes this issue.
firewalker

Re:

Post by firewalker »

mangueJOE wrote:I regret what I said about deluge beeing lightweight.
Azureus here eats lots of cpu, varies from 30% to 75% but less memory than deluge, about 80MB. But azureus is the torrent client with more features out there
It's uses Java. That's why it's resource hog.
utorrent running with wine uses less than 10% cpu, about 10MB ram and has all the features deluge have plus more.
It's a native code.Compact and fast.That's why it is pretty lightweight even when featured. Deluge using Python, it's slower than native code and surely eats more RAM. You can not have virtual machines without paying for this a proper price. Virtualized crap like Python and Java will be always slower and eat more RAM than native code.Just because native code is a "best possible" case in terms of RAM and CPU (except when compiler sucks a way too much).
transmission is able to use even less system resources than utorrent. less than 5% cpu and less than 10 MB ram. has important features but lacks DHT.
That's why I use it even on my N810 device and even on router :D. But lack of DHT sometimes causes troubles. I know, DHT is quite hard to implement... :oops:
bollywood

Re: DHT trackerless

Post by bollywood »

Jordan wrote:
ksec wrote:Well it doesn't look too good when DHT2 library is totally empty, without downloads nor source code ><
They haven't had an official release yet, but the code is at http://code.google.com/p/libdht2/source ... #svn/trunk
how is their code coming along?

this is the only major feature missing IMO, hope it makes it in T soon.
:D
tiennou

Post by tiennou »

Cheers and Merry Christmas from teh main libdht2 developer ;-).

Right now I'm waiting on Niels to review some patches I've written, mainly to allow us to plug-in protocol parsers between the DHT stuff and the network format. Then I'll start checking everything works as intended (by using the reference Kademlia paper, which is http://infinite-source.de/az/whitepaper ... imized.pdf, then I'll ask kindly if I can use bencode.c/h from the Transmission project ;-).
bollywood

Post by bollywood »

tiennou wrote:Cheers and Merry Christmas from teh main libdht2 developer ;-).

Right now I'm waiting on Niels to review some patches I've written, mainly to allow us to plug-in protocol parsers between the DHT stuff and the network format. Then I'll start checking everything works as intended (by using the reference Kademlia paper, which is http://infinite-source.de/az/whitepaper ... imized.pdf, then I'll ask kindly if I can use bencode.c/h from the Transmission project ;-).
looking forward to it!

many thanks for your time.