DHT trackerless

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
bleep

Post by bleep »

Would love to see dht in Transmission, now that we have ipfilter, dht is one of the latest features that is lacking to T.
Waldorf

Post by Waldorf »

KadC is undergoing renewed development, so it can be ported to be used in T. So everyone interested in lending a hand, go check it out!
bollywood

Post by bollywood »

Waldorf wrote:KadC is undergoing renewed development, so it can be ported to be used in T. So everyone interested in lending a hand, go check it out!
Awesome! hopefully someone with the right smarts can get this implemented.

:D
Jethryn Freyman

Post by Jethryn Freyman »

DHT seems to be the only feature that Transmission is missing. I'll see if I can find some volunteers to assist coding it.
bleep

Post by bleep »

Basically, it should be possible to implement libtorrent's implementation of dht, am i right ?
Waldorf

Post by Waldorf »

Sure, but KadC is plain C, while libtorrent's implementation is C++. Still, we need someone to put the DHT in place.
mangueJOE

Post by mangueJOE »

You guys keep talking about switching back to azureus but complain it's a resource consuming program. Haven't you ever heard of Deluge Bittorrent? It has all the features you guys want (DHT, Peer Exchange, Queue, RSS) it's lightweitght like transmission, has a utorrent like UI and supports plugins made by the community. I get same speeds as I get in transmission plus features. Also works on Mac.

http://deluge-torrent.org

Good downloading
jah

Post by jah »

deluge is not a native Mac application.
bleep

Post by bleep »

and is a bloody pain in the ass to set up
mangueJOE

Post by mangueJOE »

I regret what I said about deluge beeing lightweight. It's no way heavy like azureus but eats like 160MB of memory and low cpu usage. And has nice features.

Azureus here eats lots of cpu, varies from 30% to 75% but less memory than deluge, about 80MB. But azureus is the torrent client with more features out there.

utorrent running with wine uses less than 10% cpu, about 10MB ram and has all the features deluge have plus more.

transmission is able to use even less system resources than utorrent. less than 5% cpu and less than 10 MB ram. has important features but lacks DHT.

So i'm using here transmission for everyday torrent, and deluge for difficult torrents.

I'd like to use only transmission... =/
ksec

Post by ksec »

Any news?
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Post by Jordan »

Actually there is some recent news. Funny you should ask.

There's a new library that does DHT and may be a good fit for Transmission to use. I've been planning to look into it sometime after we wrap up 1.30. I can't say it's a high priority, but I'll get to it sooner or later.

As always, the fastest way for a feature to be added is if someone wants it enough that they submit a patch.
kleinstein

Post by kleinstein »

I hope also DHT works on Transmission..
please.. DHT please...
ksec

Re: DHT trackerless

Post by ksec »

Well it doesn't look too good when DHT2 library is totally empty, without downloads nor source code ><
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Re: DHT trackerless

Post by Jordan »

ksec wrote:Well it doesn't look too good when DHT2 library is totally empty, without downloads nor source code ><
They haven't had an official release yet, but the code is at http://code.google.com/p/libdht2/source ... #svn/trunk