A sequential downloading files into a torrent

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
TVS

A sequential downloading files into a torrent

Post by TVS »

Hi
i want a sequential downloading files into a torrent.
Thanks in advance.
Richy_T

Re: A sequential downloading files into a torrent

Post by Richy_T »

You're a bit unclear. Could you give an example? My numeric priorities plan might be something that would go some way to providing what you want.
yark

Post by yark »

I try to explain.

There are two possible sequences, both are useful:

1) When you download a torrent with multiple files in it (some season of TV series with all episodes) you probably want to start watching as soon as possibe (from first episode). So you may want to download first, than second then third etc. Currently Tranmission downloads pices from all files and progress of each file separately is close to entire torrent progress. (e.g. if you have 95% completed of entire download than you have 95% of each file in in).

Sure, it can be regulated by prioritising first file, but you need to trace download process by yourself.

2) If you download a single vidoe file you probably want to start watching ASAP too. So client need to download pices of file one by one. So you can start watching video before it completes downloading (like youtube does). But it's can be harmful to small swarm when to few seeders and many leechers. So it need to be implemented to enable only for particular torrent.
Soapm

Post by Soapm »

yark wrote:2) If you download a single vidoe file you probably want to start watching ASAP too. So client need to download pices of file one by one. So you can start watching video before it completes downloading (like youtube does). But it's can be harmful to small swarm when to few seeders and many leechers. So it need to be implemented to enable only for particular torrent.
This one is dependent on the file type. Some files will let you plan it after you receive the header information but other formats require the complete file be present. I remember there was a preview feature in eMule but it would only work on certain formatted files.
yark

Post by yark »

Soapm wrote:This one is dependent on the file type. Some files will let you plan it after you receive the header information but other formats require the complete file be present. I remember there was a preview feature in eMule but it would only work on certain formatted files.
Yes. It's true. Will work with some exceptions.
killemov

Post by killemov »

Bittorrent is supposed to download blocks in order of rarity. This is to keep the swarm healthy.
alpo

Post by alpo »

Hi
Today, I suddenly became interested and solved the first part of yark's explanation.
And I found it a good place to share.
This is a python script.
It scans all idling and seeding torrents. If all enabled files in torrent is done, enables the first disabled file in names order.
An optional argument is the maximum number of torrents bumped per launch (default: 1).
For example, if you want to watch two episodes of anything per day, launch it twice per day, or run it once with argument 2.
https://gist.github.com/2944062
Enjoy.