Option to not allocate space before downloading.

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
Gergeosson

Option to not allocate space before downloading.

Post by Gergeosson »

Hi!

I just bought a Time Capsule and I started using it to download media to it (as well as backing up to it). I download both to the internal drive of the capsule as well as to an external drive which is hooked up to the capsule. When I download to it using transmission, let's say a 10 GB video file, transmission first creates the file (allocating the size it needs) before downloading. This method is not really optimal when downloading to a NAS. It takes a loooot of time creating the file(s), and makes transmission unresponsive during that time.

I guess using the "keep incomplete files in:" feature to keep the incomplete files in a local directory is a work around, but it's not a solution. There should be an option to not allocate the space for files before downloading, i.e. just let the files grow as the download progresses.

What are your thoughts on this? Does anyone else have a similar problem/experience?
Richy_T

Re: Option to not allocate space before downloading.

Post by Richy_T »

It would make sense and help to minimize disk usage.