Automatically set/switch download priority

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
negativeions

Automatically set/switch download priority

Post by negativeions »

Hi, I was wondering if it's at all possible to have automatically set priority to files. For example, I'm downloading a whole shibang of TV episodes, I want to watch them in order obviously, so I want them downloaded in order so I can watch one as soon as it's completed. Is there any way transmission can download them in sequence according to filename maybe? So like when the file in season one folder, episode 1 is done, priority will automatically switch to the next one, episode 2. Know what I'm saying? Thanks.
blacke4dawn

Re: Automatically set/switch download priority

Post by blacke4dawn »

Using standard bittorrent "exchange" there is no guaranty that the one with the highest priority will be done before the one with the lowest, and it has happened to me a few times. It's unusual yes but it can happen.

If you mean forcefully downloading them in sequence I would say no since I think that would break the bittorrent principle. I'm fairly sure you can work out a script for this but I'm not going to give it a go.
jezuk

Re: Automatically set/switch download priority

Post by jezuk »

There is a script posted by Alpo on this thread which does something like this.

I've modded that script to only change the priority of files from normal to high rather than sequentially downloading. You can get my version from here. It also supports authenticated rpc using a .netrc file.

This way it's a little 'less evil' as you will still be grabbing rare pieces but prioritising one file at a time.

I'm new to python and this script has only been tested on my ubuntu server, basic setup instructions are included in the comments at the top of the script, let me know if you run into any problems.

Jez