RPC extensions - password mgmt

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
jerry-va

RPC extensions - password mgmt

Post by jerry-va »

Please consider adding additional RPCs that create additional functionality for remote-management GUInterfaces.

It can be very cumbersome to change the password protecting remote access to the Transmission client. This requires access to some JSON config files in the system (Linux variant in my case) hosting the client. I have the developer of a very stable, popular Transmission remote GUI promising to implement painless password change via the RPC calls used between client and GUI if this developer community will extend the RPC calls to update config files. Obviously you can build security restrictions in at your end -- we are increasing security here by helping users get away from a default pwd.

Please imagine you are as stripped of your power and developer expertise as a newbie like me. The internet mentions 3 or 4 files that might need to be changed . . . maybe it is only a single file, but I do not know. Inside the file you see one thing (a hash), but you enter another (plain text) and you worry because no one told you the encryption was automatic. To even get there, you need to navigate a Linux file directory (but you are a Mac and Windows gui dweller). To do that, you need to implement SSH access, which Infrant/Netgear/ReadyNAS assures you will restrict your warranty. So, yes, it can be done. I even did it (applause). But do I have to go through this again? (My NASbox lost two drives, all data, got replaced -- thank you, Netgear! -- but the replacement had no client, no added SSH access, no secure pwd. Sigh.)

Regards,
jerry-va