Look at TV Show download process and add features to support

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
zilexa

Look at TV Show download process and add features to support

Post by zilexa »

Hi Transmission builders. You have done an excellent job building the most lightweight, low resources torrent client.

I would like to ask you guys to look at the process of adding TV Show torrents, managing them and saving them to the right location. Currently Transmission supports the creation of Groups, but I miss the exact thought behind this because it is limited and doesn't provide much dynamic options.

The process:
1. user searches a tv show, specific episode
2. this should be downloaded to a specific location like TV Shows\showname\season #\

Currently, I miss a feature to easily add a LABEL or similar, so that it will always download to my default download folder (TV Shows) with the label name appended to it (TV Shows\LABEL).
Both uTorrent and QBittorent support this and I can add a torrent, simply use up or down keys or start typing the label, hit ENTER and done. The label I created for the previous ep last week was still remembered so is added and the file will be downloaded to the correct location.

This is not possible with Groups, or I have to predefine a group per TV Show! selecting the folder per TV Show! That requires a lot of hand work and requires the folder to exist.
Simply adding a label when you add the episode for a new show for the first time would be A LOT easier, and as a feature much easier to develop.

Secondly, I am going to switch to a Raspberry Pi using Transmission + Flexget to automize downloading. Since I use XBMC+XBMCWatchdog, new episodes are automatically added to the library as soon as the file exists in TV Shows\showname\. Would be great if Transmission would support a MOVEWHENDONE option in Flexget so that Flexget can always download to \Downloads\ and move to the correct folder by using MOVEWHENDONE. Flexget can dynamically add the correct tv show name and season number so that every show will be moved to the correct folder without predefining.

Why am I writing all this? It just seems like a great torrent client and daemon has been developed but no features have been added that support the common download process of most users.
blacke4dawn

Re: Look at TV Show download process and add features to sup

Post by blacke4dawn »

You can set Flexget to download specific shows to specific directories. If you don't want to use that then I can recommend FileBot which can sort (and rename) TV-shows, movies and such after they are done downloading.
Personally I would like that Transmission just focuses on being "just" a torrent client and let all the other things like sorting, setting download location and other automation tasks be done by external tools.

As for a MOVEWHENDONE option I am sure that is what the incomplete-dir option is for, a.k.a having all torrents that are in the process of being downloaded in one specific place and only moved to their real location when done downloading.