Socks support again (but not for anonymity)

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
macaque

Socks support again (but not for anonymity)

Post by macaque »

Hi,

Sorry to raise again this subject.
I have read some of the topics on this subjet, so first of all it's just a request and your are totally free of your choices.
If i post a new subject it's because, on the ones I read, the user goal seemed to be different of mine.
I understand and totally agree that using tor network for p2p application is bad for tor, and baddly if transmission implements it, I'm shure plenty of guy will use over it and it will be a bad things.

But let me explain why I need socks proxy support :

I'm often connected behind public wifi (0% of time), and these networks (generally) don't allow p2p traffic.
I have a fonera (first edition) at my home and use it as a proxy socks (by creating a ssh tunnel to it, on port 443 to be sure not to be blocked).
So I'm clearly not anonymous after that because the IP people will see is the one my provider give me, but it's not what i'm searching for.
My problem is that I can not used transmission in this configuration.
I try to use tsocks but it doesn't work.
I found a solution by creating a ppp context over the ssh connexion, using iptables nat routing functionnality on the fonera, and then force the defaut route of my computer through this connection.
So I succeed in using transmission in this context.
But it's a little complex and I failed to configurate my system not to use this ssh tunnel for all program (it's easy to configure routing tables for specific IP but in my situation there isn't specific IP).
Typically I would like not to redirect traffic through my ssh tunnel when I look a video on youtube (what would be easy if I only use a tsocks proxy with foxyproxy) (connection speed through my ssh tunnel is too much limited to see such streaming videos in great condition).

For the complete story I found two differents solutions to use different routes for differents programs :
- fixsrcip (based on LD_PRELOAD like tsocks) : doesn't seems to work well with the programm I try to launch with.
- iptables with "--uid-owner" option. I think it can work (by creating a specific user to launch applications with or not) but I shamefully give up before reaching my goal.

That's why I would be very gratefull if one day transmission implements a complete socks proxy.
An other fonctionnality would have been usefull in my case, the possiblity to bind to a specific interface (force to use one route and not the default one).

Thanks for the developpement of this great appl.

PS : sorry if I wrote strange sentences, I'm a french guy and not really fluent in english.
PS2: if someone have a simpler solution for me, don't hesitate to participate to the topic
macaque

Re: Socks support again (but not for anonymity)

Post by macaque »

Thanks a lot for your answer.
I'm sorry not to have found this by my self.
Moreover I wans't aware of "bind-address-ipv4" option.
I should be able to solve my problem with it.
I'm already able with two simple commands (ip route add default via <myPPPProxy> table 10 ; ip rule rule add from <myLocalPPPAdress>/32 table 10) to send transmission traffic through my ssh tunnel.
For now response doesn't come back but I will work on that later.
Thanks again
[edit]Seems to work well now, not sure of what I change since my first try.[/edit]