New option: no automatic reconnection after pause

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
bauerhauer

New option: no automatic reconnection after pause

Post by bauerhauer »

After years of using this great program I first would like to say thank you to everyone working on it!

I have a feature request for Transmission: I miss the option for „no automatic reconnection after pause“. The background for this important feature is, that sometimes after waking up from stand by, Transmission is faster in seeding than my VPN Clients in generation an new VPN-Connection. For this time I’m seed with my real IP. Only a few seconds are enough in germany for suing someone.

Thanks!

PS: The the Bittorrent filesharing situation in germany is critical at the moment, every day more than 3000 torrent users get sued (Abmahnungen).
bauerhauer

Re: New option: no automatic reconnection after pause

Post by bauerhauer »

Which rule do you mean? Anyway, unfortunately I found nothing that could help someone who ist not using Viscosity for a VPN Connection.

Thanks
rb07

Post by rb07 »

You're taking the wrong approach, Transmission doesn't detect when the computer has been put to sleep (as far as I know, which doesn't cover the Mac app).

What you usually do is on the VPN, you have to stop Transmission when the VPN disconnects. Re-starting Transmission also could be done when the VPN connects, but its not necessarily what you want (i.e. if it wasn't running before). All that is usually done with scripts configured to be run on the VPN configuration.
bauerhauer

Post by bauerhauer »

Thanks to everyone! Sorry for rule #4. In the meantime I learned a lot about IP Binding. I will make my experience with it.
Still, I think my request could be a solution for the average user, but I will follow your advice.