SOCKS5 Support

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
fuzion24

SOCKS5 Support

Post by fuzion24 »

It would be very nice if Transmission supported SOCKS for all traffic. With increasing scrutiny from ISPs, it is more and more important to be able to support a proxy. Proper SOCKS support would allow for the cheap ssh -D proxy, as well as support for Tor (even though it's not recommended :: https://blog.torproject.org/blog/bittor ... -good-idea).

Reading through past tickets of where proxy support was removed. It seems as if it was half-baked. Is there a recommendation for how this should be implemented properly? What pieces should it touch?
blindpet

Re: SOCKS5 Support

Post by blindpet »

I am interested in this as well. Of course a VPN is ideal for security but some are happy to just use a proxy. Is this feature just never going to make it?
dtrikannad

Post by dtrikannad »

I'm looking to add transmission as a jail to my FreeNAS box as that is the only computer running on my network 24/7. Also, while I agree that VPN is probably better...it is also more expensive.

I knew that it is not supported and am writing this after a failed attempt to get utorrent server to run (all because I need support for SOCKS5).

I grep'd the transmission jail within FreeNAS and noticed that there are some references to SOCKS5 in the socks.py script. Might there be an underground method to reactivate support?

Please help!

Thanks in advance!!
Theo Racle

Post by Theo Racle »

+1 for the proxy support.

With various copyright industry mobsters increasing their efforts to track down and prosecute people by intercepting BitTorrent traffic, the ability to use proxy servers becomes more and more imperative.

Also, being able to connect through a proxy helps to work around restrictive firewalls.

Any chance Transmission could support custom proxy servers?