Stop requesting favicon from trackers

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
eddie4

Stop requesting favicon from trackers

Post by eddie4 »

Hi am admin of a large bittorrent tracker. I was investigating my nginx logs wondering why they where so extremely large. It seems that Transmission is requesting favicon.png/ico/jpg/gif. I have no idea why you are doing this, I don't use transmission. But the effect on my side is that I have had 7.693.320 requests for favicons in 9 days. It's useless overhead and TCP connections.

The tracker is currently running on port 6969 the requests are coming in on port 80. This could be because of wrong url's or that transmission is actively trying port 80.
Knipsel.PNG
Knipsel.PNG (10.01 KiB) Viewed 6453 times
Knipsel2.PNG
Knipsel2.PNG (15.93 KiB) Viewed 6453 times
Would love to know why you are attempting this.
cfpp2p

Re: Stop requesting favicon from trackers

Post by cfpp2p »

7.693.320 requests
:roll:

You are correct. There is a problem in my opinion. Tracker icon should be asked for once, not with each announce or scrape. I haven't looked at the code in detail enough to know exactly how often. And then these:

https://trac.transmissionbt.com/ticket/5726

it's been fixed in the web client but not in Mac, gtk or qt clients.

web client fixed: https://trac.transmissionbt.com/ticket/4549#comment:8

not fixed:

qt client
torrent.cc
const QString host = Favicons::getHost (QUrl (tracker));

gtk
details.c
gtk_list_store_set (GTK_LIST_STORE (model), &iter, TRACKER_COL_FAVICON, pixbuf, -1);

Mac
TrackerCell.m
#warning better favicon detection
- (void) loadTrackerIcon: (NSString *) baseAddress

I can make a new bug ticket or add to Mac ticket if you'd like. Or you can do this yourself if you want. Let me know.
eddie4

Re: Stop requesting favicon from trackers

Post by eddie4 »

Am not really into coding if you could create a ticket that would be great. Am still unsure why you would want the icon in the first place. Most trackers have moved away from TCP because of the overhead and high CPU use. I normally have between 6 and 12 million peer connected. If all clients would implement this it would be 12 million TCP connections for the first time they connect.

Trackers want to do the least possible everything that a client requests gets multiplied by a few million.