REQ: time-slice, round-robin seeding feature

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
andwan0

REQ: time-slice, round-robin seeding feature

Post by andwan0 »

I've got like thousand of torrents. But am on a crappy non-fibre broadband line.
I like to seed to contribute to community.
However, the default/recommended settings is like "Number of active torrents (upload or download) = 8". Yes I could set this higher, but that would kill my router & BB line. I understand there's a setting for automatically switching off a torrent when the seeders ratio gets past a threshold.

but am wondering if anyone know if it's possible to automatically time-slice, round-robin, time-share the seeding amount the thousand of torrents? Such as seed these 10 for 1 hour, then switch to the next 10 in the queue, etc. and so forth.
andwan0

Re: REQ: time-slice, round-robin seeding feature

Post by andwan0 »

I have thousands of torrents in my uTorrent list - that I like to seed. But it's unfeasible to start them all. So my policy/rule is to only seed the torrents with less than X seeders.

Would be nice to have a rule/option that stops the torrent if it's more than X seeders... and frequently peeks at the number of seeders for ALL torrents to monitor the number of seeders (since this number increase/decrease from time to time).
blinding

Post by blinding »

I have heard of too many open connections killing the router but not too many torrents. I would think that you could enable a thousand seeds as long as you used reasonable values for Global peer limit and the up/down bandwidth then the router should be fine. Not sure how well Transmission will handle a thousand seeds with only a hundred connections as I have never tried it.

If your router supports it then you can reflash it with Tomato or DD-WRT firmware. They allow setting much bigger tables to handle more connections.
andwan0

Post by andwan0 »

ah, that is probably why my router dies every so often...^^